1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Good Books for practicing Arpeggios and scales?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by ChinWa, Feb 8, 2018.

1. ChinWa

ChinWa

Nov 28, 2016
    I'm looking for some suggestion to practice my arpeggios
    I've heard that Dr. Morton's books about arpeggio and scales are pretty good, but I couldn't find any shop selling it even online. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. F. Simandl’s New Method for Double Bass.

damonsmith likes this.
  3. Yusef Lateef's Repository of Scales and Melodic Patterns

robinunit and damonsmith like this.
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Eugene Levinson's school of agility

dhm and mtto like this.
  5. Peter Brendler

Peter Brendler Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2012
    NY, NY
  6. “The serioous jazz practice book - For all instruments” by Barry Finnerty.

This has plenty of exercises on scales and arpeggios, but is not a DB method so there are no fingerings.

7. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Pretty much all of them.
    But Ray Browns book has plenty.

Dave Roberts likes this.
  8. afroblue

afroblue

Oct 25, 2012
    Around the Horn by Walt Weiskopf (for all instruments). 21 modal scales and arpeggios plus etudes on each. Suggested triad pairs for each chord as well. Major scale, melodic and harmonic minor. All related to keys.

9. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Not to be prickly, but do you really need a book or manuscript to practice scales/arpeggios?

Pick a key, pick a starting place on the neck, pick a pattern (interval and/or rhythm), and go.

I'm not trying to knock players/authors with etude or exercise books, but most leave me thinking, "Why would I pay $20+ for this?"

Les Fret likes this.
  10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sure, there's got to be some value added in there. The best of them aren't just going to be arpeggios spelled out in open and closed position and in all inversions, they're going to include etudes that will use arpeggios to work on things like large position shifts, intervallic leaps, string crossings. Think of it a little like chess books; sure you know how all the pieces move, a good book should give you a better idea how to use that information in actual play. Most good teachers will have either developed their own methodology, that's where books like Levinson's come in, these are approaches he developed in teaching. Other teachers may use books like that since it's what they used when they were being taught.

Michael Karn, Joshua and dhm like this.
  11. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    It is a good time to look at your hands instead of a page, it is also more of a mental theory exercise. The books can help some people, though.

12. If you're very diciplined you won't need a book. Some of us are not that diciplined, then we start walking around, or continue playing what we have always played.

13. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    There are also some scale and arpeggio courses on DiscoverDoubleBass.com

14. ChinWa

ChinWa

Nov 28, 2016
    I understand the point that you mentioned. I have played electric bass for several years, which makes me a lot easier to understand how the upright bass works.

But when I'm practicing the upright, the fingering seems very important for efficient shifting and for better intonation. Sometimes I think I don't have a good, consiatant fingerings for the arpeggios thats why I want to look for some resources on it.

15. koricancowboy

koricancowboy Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    Boardwalkin’

Phil Rowan likes this.
  16. Patterns for Jazz by Jerry Coker. Not a bass book so there are no fingerings.

I'm not signing this recommendation in blood...it's just an interesting book that has helped me to keep practice interesting during periods of boredom.

17. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    One thing I was taught and has worked well with some students, is to give yourself time intervals. Set a certain amount of time (5, 10, 20 mins) where you ONLY focus on what you're working on. No deviation. Then allow 5 or 10 to play whatever. Then go back to strict focus on the task.

18. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    For arpeggio practice I was taught to use fake books and turn songs into etudes by working on playing non-root notes on the downbeats. For covering all patterns use permutations:
    R 3 5 7 .. 3 R 5 7 and so on
    R 3 7 5 .. 3 R 7 5
    R 5 3 7 .. 3 5 R 7
    R 5 7 3 .. 3 5 7 R
    R 7 3 5 .. 3 7 R 5
    R 7 5 3 .. 3 7 5 R
    Free and comprehensive: go to the Jamie Aebersold site (jazzbooks.com) and scroll to the bottom of the home page. Download the Jazz Scale Syllabus and the Jazz Handbook. They won't address fingerings for any instruments but there's a wealth of musical calisthenics and mind-stretching in there.

19. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Look up Expansions by Gary Campbell. Has all the permutations you want of all kinds.