1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any good "how-to" bass DVD's?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by stoop, Jan 15, 2012.

1. stoop

stoop

Jan 11, 2012
    Hey I just picked up a bass today (fender squire P bass), I had been learning on a friends but he took it home not too long again. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone knows any good dvd's to start learning more. I am pretty new to it all but I have been shown some stuff and been jamming with a friend who is playing guitar and another on drums. Or if you just have some tips and tricks you did to start playing feel free to drop that knowledge here to.

Thanks.

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Not sure about DVD's but I can recommend some books which come with their own play along CD's. The first is "Bass Guitar for Dummies". It may be available at your local library. Dont mind the "D" word. It is a great over all book for someone just starting out. When you have got through that, I would recommend this :

Bass Method: Book 1 Ed Friedland | eBay

There are three volumes. It is possible to get all three in one spiral bound edition at a very reasonable price.

3. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Books and well made courses (some good ones on YouTube) are always welcome. It all depends on what you want. I discovered that some straight forward blues is helpful. At least it was to me. By just listening to it and trying to find the right string and fret, I could play along and improve. Nowadays I do the same with metal. I just mix the bass in and play along until I get 'it'. On sites like Songsterr there is a lot of tab material available. This is also helpful.

4. You should be able to find a wealth of instruction videos on YouTube. Now, to get any results you actually need to practice those instructions instead of skipping ahead to the next instruction video.

5. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    This. And be sure to actually take the instructions into heart and consideration, instead of just skipping along until you find something easy.

6. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    If you really want a comprehensive, well-produced DVD resource check out Roy Vogt's Teach Me Bass Guitar. There's so much good info on those 10 DVD's which will give you a solid foundation to go as far as you want to go as a player. The only downside is that you have to buy the entire 10 DVD course at once (you can't buy 1 DVD at a time) so the initial investment is high, but the value is exponentially greater than the $40 or $50 DVD's you see in music stores.

Roy is also a regular contributor here at TB and his postings in the Technique and General Instruction forums are always insightful.

Teach Me Bass Guitar - The best self-paced bass guitar lessons ever created. Guaranteed!

7. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Spend a couple of hours on the 'stickies' here in TB... and about the same amount of time on YouTube and you'll have a lot of information at your fingertips.

Remember that knowledge and skill are two different things. Learning what to do is good... spending time getting the skill together is more imporant.

8. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    +1. I love TMBG.

9. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    You Tube videos can be good, but for someone starting out, it can be hard to know where to start. What is needed is lessons where you start with the basics and gradually build on the previous lesson. Otherwise a person might get confused by "skipping the queue" of information and learning something before he has nailed the basics. Most books like the ones I recommended, give constructive lessons IMO.

10. Bass4Gsus

Bass4Gsus

Feb 13, 2010
    Deer Park NY
  11. A good way ( I think ) to get good instruction and feedback is my going to MusicDojo.com. They have excellent month long courses with and video and of course written text as well as majorly qualified instructors to talk with and provide feedback. You have a topic per day with assignments and practice materials. Often times you can send webcam video back and forth for scrutinizing. I have done a few of their courses and intend to take all of the bass courses eventually. They will run you about 50 bucks depending on the course but you have access to all the lesson materials etc forever after you begin the course. I still go back and look at course material from 3 years ago personally. I am working on retaking all the courses I have already done right now, to refresh and see how I've progressed, or not !

www.musicdojo.com

12. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Nah ... there is to many people who try to show something but give false instruction, or have a bad technic.

The best will always be to have a true reputable teacher.

13. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan