Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any recommendations for good solos?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by bfitz, Sep 28, 2005.

1. bfitz

bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    I have been looking around to find a collection of bass solos to practice. The only solo that I have ever worked on is die Meistersinger by Wagner, and it’s a little over my head for now. I’ve looked at a couple of books, nothing special, with a collection of solos but I really want something that can help me get better at phrasing and general performance. I’m also not that advanced yet, so anything in the beginning to intermediate levels would probably be good. Thank you for any advice.

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    It's not clear the type of solo you're talking about. The jazz double bass literature has a fair amount of transcribed solos for practicing. But if you're talking Wagner, then it's classical db repertoire. Get your Bach's Cello Suites transcribed for double bass, you've got work for years with these, a teacher will help. Then you've got a bunch of pieces for db and piano, from very easy to even-tougher-than-that... again, a teacher would help you select the appropriate pieces, studies, etudes...