1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any road bikers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by machine gewehr, Jun 3, 2014.

1. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    So, 9 weeks ago I went from MTB to road bike. I do love MTBs but lack of trails in my area forced me to ride my bike 99% of the time on the road so I made the transition.

I know I'm going to miss riding in the dirt and buy a MTB in the future, but seeing 50 kmh with a small effort is unbeliavable. The only downside being the brakes, I love this road bike thing. I bought myself a Team Sky jersey, but can't wear it due to beer belly at the moment.:D

I've been watching Tour of Turkey, Giro d'Italia, Tour of Norway lately and I can't wait to get on my bike and ride like the wind. (I had an accident after 45 minutes on the new bike and broke my wrist, it's almost healed though).

So, go ahead, MTB'ers have a nice thread going on, share your experiences, show pictures of your bikes, talk specs, stories and whatever comes to mind.:thumbsup:

I also have a question, I have meniscus in my both knees, would SPD pedals be good or bad, any ideas?

2. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Good luck with the wrist. I broke my left elbow last summer, and banged my left wrist up pretty good, as well. I was out of riding commission for the whole riding (mtb) season. It sucked! As far as clipless pedals go, just make sure you get the cleats fit properly on your shoe. If they're off at all you'll get knee pain fairly quickly. I used SPD mtb pedals with no float for years without issue, but last season I switched to Crank Bros pedals. They have cleats with adjustable float, so your knees can center a little easier. I don't know if road pedals are designed to have float, but it's worth looking into. The main thing is to have your cleats set properly from the beginning. Plenty of professional riders have knee issues and are able to use clipless pedals.

3. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Thanks man. Falling comes with the riding, but this is the first time I broke something in my body, other than my teeth.:D

I've been looking into clipless pedals for a while but was concerned about the knee injuries. I shall read a lot more on it, I'll also go see how they work, I don't really get the cleat and float thing. :)

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Float is how much you can pivot your foot on the pedal without disconnecting. Go with Speedplay pedals which have a huge range of float that isn't spring-centered, great for knee problems.

edpal and Tbone76 like this.
  5. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I need something like that, that's what I heard about Speedplays, but they're pretty expensive, I mean, really expensive for my budget.:atoz:

6. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I can understand that, but if you are thinking of going clipless they are very much worth it.

7. I happily use SPDs on my road bike. It's a bonus that the recessed cleats keep the shoes walkable.

8. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Heathen. Why are you walking? Hill repeats (after installing proper pedals) or risk 40 lashes with a chain whip.

9. You're totally gonna hate it when I tell you all about my recumbent. ;)

10. Landshark.......

11. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I just got a bike this past Sunday and it's my first road bike. I road mountain bikes in the mid 90s but haven't ridden since. It's been fun and a great workout since there is no flatland where I live. I suppose the hills will be good for me in the end. The bike is a 2013 Giant Defy Composite 3. I'll have to get a picture up when I get back to my laptop.

12. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    If I stick around the area where I live, it's only hills. Hills aren't that nice to my meniscus as my legs aren't strong enough so I found a route that's flat, also has a bicyle lane and sticking with it till my legs get stronger. I think I have two matches instead of legs.:D

13. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    Yup--I used Look pedals for years, all the while telling people with knee problems they needed Speedplays. After I had knee surgery for torn meniscus, I switched to Speedplays. It turns out my advice was very good.

The right pedals are cheaper than new knees. Save up for some Speedplays.

Hills are fun.

14. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I would definately go for Speedplays instead of new knees. The thing is, I think I have to buy them online as I haven't been able to locate a dealer here and buying very expensive shoes online without trying can cause problems.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  15. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Ha! I haven't gotten to the place where hills are fun yet, at least uphill anyway. I'm using some Shimano clips and so far, no knee pain, just that good ole quad burn :)

16. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Are you in a low enough gear? If your cadence is too low it can put a lot more stress on the knees. Work on being able to "spin" a little more than you are.

lowendfriend likes this.
  17. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Hills never get easier, you just go faster. :smug:

18. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    I get that. I have stupidly-wide feet, so finding shoes is a challenge, and no brick-and-mortar store carries my size. Buying shoes without trying on is a crapshoot.
    Eh, they do get easier. And I wasn't kidding--I do love climbing (though I'm off two wheels on the injured list right now.) Some people are genetically predisposed to that kind of endurance, generally complemented by a preponderance of slow-twitch muscle fiber. When I'm fit, I love going up.

Do not ask me to sprint.

19. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I love climbing as well, but being 15lb over my racing/climbing weight means it hurts.

20. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    I'm like 15 years over my racing age. Everything hurts.