1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody Offering A Decent New Short-Scale Model This Year?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lownoter, Oct 19, 2017.

1. lownoter

lownoter

May 24, 2008
    I'm looking to add a short-scale bass to my arsenal but I'm having trouble finding anything in stock anywhere. I'd like to get my hands on one before I buy but if it's from a reputable maker and has a few good reviews, I'd chance buying online and dialing in the setup myself. Thanks

2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    An Ibanez TMB30, Squier Jaguar SS are two I would recommend.

fermata likes this.
  3. Supro's got the Huntington coming out, if it hasn't already....that's new (sorta)

GrooverMcTube and shawn1288 like this.
  4. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Yep, I like my Ibanez Talman TMB30. The Chowny SWB-1 seems like a good one, too. And the Mustang PJ now comes in orange. None of those are new for this year (except the orange finish), but they are relatively recent. Hofner has a few new models out this year. And you can specifically search for short scales on the Sweetwater site: 4-string Bass Guitars | Sweetwater

5. hamertek98

hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    Indiana
    I just picked up a Squier Jaguar ss a couple weeks ago. Haven't changed the strings yet. Like I've read here and elsewhere, the J is kind of weak. I plan on gutting everything when I get the chance. I bought it for health reasons, lol. My main basses are wearing me down.
    Surprisingly nice little bass for $199. And light! I haven't had an ss for years. I may try to get a medium in the near future if I move my Mod.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Where do you live? What's your budget? What kind of bass do you want? What kind of sound do you want? What do stores local to you have?

7. Scott Beckwith from Birdsong recently showcased a new excellent budget shortscale bass that he designed and that is manufactured by another company. Can't remember the name though - just search for Scott's recent videos.

canuckshort and beatlebass64 like this.
  8. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Eastwood Guitars has a few. I would suggest you take a look at the K-200. If only I had the money...

9. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    The JMJ sig Fender Mustang will be out in a few weeks:

10. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    I was going to suggest the new, posher spec Chowny Scott Whitely bass. Played one a month of so ago and it was truly lovely! Some lovely maple top models available...

Chowny Bass | Official Home of Chowny Bass Guitars

Pro_wood.

Herrick, NKBassman, Duder and 4 others like this.
  11. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    It's the Shortbass.

12. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Not necessarily - he's also got the "custom build, designed by birdsong" line which are like shortscale ASAT/Tele basses, that look awesome.

If you've got the budget, OP, don't forget the Wattplower from Reverend!

grisezd and BeauZooka like this.
  13. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    How does the SWB feel/hang, with the strap peg way-@$$ up by the 17th fret, though?

14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    wondering if a short scale 5 low B is possible?

15. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    wintremute likes this.
  16. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    For something that came out new specifically this year, there's the Reverend Wattplower. It's running at $1400 new and $1000 used. You didn't give us a price range, and that's the first "new" short scale that came to mind.

Mike Watt Wattplower Bass

58c6ba99c2dc5b4d6cff14e7_watt_EMGRN_main.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    spufman, Duder, knumbskull and 3 others like this.
  17. Sure. Check out some of the Brice basses from Rondo Music. I got a 6 string short scale that sounds great for the money.

Temcat likes this.
  18. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
  19. Sweetwater has a bunch. My main axe ATM is a Lakland HB30. I really want to get one of the new mustangs. They are really nice.

20. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Also, there's the Ibanez Mikro available as a 5 string.

wintremute and AztecViking like this.