1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody own a Tesla?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yvon, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm thinking about buying one. I read a lot on the net and everything.
    I was wondering if anybody here own one and how you like it / or don't.

2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

My wife purchased a S85 model and took delivery last March. Awesome car if you looking in the Luxury sedan market. In fact, she likes it better than any car she has ever owned including MB's, Jags and the like. It corners like a fine tuned sports car, has unbelievable torque and it the safest rated car in all the crash categories. It is just many years ahead of the competition. No question we would purchase again. She has the red one and my buddy owns the black one.

20150331_134644.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    Testing123 likes this.
  3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm looking at the s70 maybe s70D
    I would have enough range for my everyday driving. Even in the winter I think.
    And for summer vacation, I will need to plan the trip before I leave home.

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Unfortunatly you can't tell me how it drives in the snow!

5. Stewie26

Sorry. It was 80 degrees in SoCal today and I doubt if that car will ever see a snow flake in coming years.

6. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Considering how gas powered cars have issues starting in the winter due to a bad battery, chances of an electric car being dependable in winter doesn't look that great.

7. T2k5

T2k5

Feb 16, 2011
    Kerava, Finland
    That has been the most asked question to a friend of mine, who drives a Tesla here in Finland. So far he's had no issues, even in -30°C (-22°F).

Stewie26 likes this.
  8. I don't own one, but a guy I used to work for does and he loves it. He put some video on facebook of it driving in NYC traffic on autopilot, and then pulling itself out of the garage and up to the house by remote control. Pretty impressive.

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm not sure I would order the autopilot.
    If you take all the options, it's getting expensive!

Jim Nazium likes this.
  10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    And you can add it later

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
  12. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I own a Model 3 - best car I've ever owned. It's the Long Range Rear Wheel Drive version, and with Michelin X-Ice 3 tires, it does just great in the snow!

20181111_072932.

13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
  14. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Not at all the same kind of battery. So far, my Tesla has "started" in the cold better than any gas car I've ever owned. Been getting down to 5 below F here, just for reference. Plenty cold enough to ice an ICE.

Stewie26 likes this.
  15. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I think I read the Model 3 beats it now. :p ;)

Edit: Looked it up, equals, doesn't "beat", 'cause there's no score higher than perfect! :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Stewie26 likes this.
  16. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  17. Stewie26

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  18. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
  19. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    One further comment on the snow handling: low and distributed center of gravity (due to batteries) make for good traction all around, and the smooth torque with no shifting doesn't give the wheels much chance to start slipping. Couple with good snow tires, seems like the perfect combination. I certainly haven't been having any trouble getting around in this storm and others have been (first big test, really). I worried I should have spent the extra for the AWD version, but so far, the RWD is cutting it just fine.

20. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    I don't own one, but a convenience store locally put in the chargers beside their gas pumps. Talking to a guy that was using a charger for his, he said it takes about an hour to an hour and a half to go from nearly depleted to full charge at the store, but takes something like 10 hours at home. The home charger takes a 220 hookup and uses a lot of juice. So, it's not the three minutes it take to fill up a gasser, no matter how you charge it. This particular guy didn't pay anything at the store charger (apparently an option you could buy from Tesla) except time.