1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anybody using a rondo bass case?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maskedman72, May 10, 2011.

1. maskedman72

maskedman72

May 1, 2011
    Arizona
  2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I personally think these are a VERY decent buy! And they look positively great as well! When I buy (yet another) Rondo bass I always have it shipped in one of these. NEVER had that case fail or even get damaged. They hold up quite well dragging basses to gigs (cases piled in back of pickup truck). Just go look at the prices out there of cases that look similar.

My only comment is that they are not precision machined items. Some of my lids don't quite close evenly with the bottom. But the differences are minor and when you latch them it pulls the lid into a proper position. There is no misfit where you have to pry on the lid to close and latch it. [I've got a couple of plastic and aluminum "Guitar Research" hard cases that are like that]

However, what I've found in hauling these cases around is that although the vinyl binding on the ends of the case looks very tough, it isn't. Quite soon the corners of the case get quite chewed. For this reason I always install brass "corners"

Amazon.com: Brass Plated Trunk Corners - #27508: Home Improvement

I use ones that look like 25692 with the rounded bumps. I don't even wait for the case to get ratty anymore. I just install them on new cases and they are good to go. They install with wood screws that easily go into the Douglas cases. And brass looks great with tweed.

I MUCH prefer a hard case over a gig bag. I'm always worried about an instrument getting mashed in a gig bag.

3. Very similar to the entry level case on MF:

Deluxe Bass Case: Shop Accessories & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

...they do the job. If I was a touring musician and was having others handling my instruments on a daily basis I might opt for something more heavy duty but, as stated, it beats the buhjeezus out of a gig bag, for schlepping around to practice/rehearsal, & local gigging.

I trust mine to protect my vintage Ric 4001.

4. "Vintage Simulated Tweed" lol

Anyhow, if you're looking at price, you better check out how much shipping will be. If you buy one of the Musicians Friend cheapies, shipping might be free.

5. Shipping on MF case is free, right now (not always).

The tweed case is out of stock @ Rondo; shipping on the black bass case is $15.99. So the MF case is the cheaper deal.

"Vintage Simulated tweed" indeed... does the job, looks pretty authentic...@ around 50 ft away. Closer than that...it's Made in China pedigree shows...

6. How the hell can you "simulate" tweed? I didn't think tweed was a pricey fabric?

7. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I have the Douglas case, and it is pretty solid. If the MF case is the same as the ones I've seen at GC (same company) then the Rondo case seems to be more solid, and the handle seems more substantial.

8. I have one of the Douglas bass casses for my short scale jazz bass. very solid case for the money. If you plan on using it for local gigs it shpuld be plenty protective of your gear. If others are going to be handling it, get something a little more rugged. I like the snakeskin ones myself.

9. maskedman72

maskedman72

May 1, 2011
    Arizona
    i see douglass makes an aluminum flight case too for $99

10. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    A buddy of mine bought one of these .... very nice case! especially for the for the money

11. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The Rondo cases are a good deal for the money. They are well constructed and solid. The "tweed" is basically just "photo tweed" similar to "photo flame" on basses. But for the price you can't bat them.

The Musician's Friend cases are pure junk. I bought one a few years ago and the first time I used it, the handle fell off as I was carrying it.

Rondo's cases are made much better than that. Their Attitude gig bags are pretty nice too. Well padded and cheap.

12. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    +1
    That was exactly the phrase that popped into my mind on reading the OP's question.

13. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I had one of these "simulated tweed" cases. It's really cheap. The tweed is printed vinyl, and it's really thin so it tore easily. And the rivets that held the hinges started pulling through the cheap plywood it's made of.
    By the time you pay shipping on a $55 case you might as well buy local for a better quality case.

14. I bought a "Case N Bag" gig bag from rondo that has been very nice.