anybody using a stereo rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brooklynbassguy, Aug 2, 2005.

1. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I'm putting together a stereo rig starting with a DLS chorus into a Boss reverb, into various pairs of amps, or with my rack (2) Bmaxs into each side of a QSC PLX 2402 into Bag End S12s. The few times I've used this the sound was amazing. I decided this after years of praticing with a pandoras box in stereo with chorus, delay and reverb. Does anybody else do anything like this?
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Sure, I did it for many years, although recently I've been playing gigs where it's just pointless to haul so much gear. I used to go with one dry channel, plus a stereo rig, for three channels total. That was especially cool for distorted sounds that didn't suck the bottom out of the bass.

You might also want to try sending one stereo channel to the board, and one to the stage. That works pretty well in small to medium clubs, in my experience.
  3. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I would think you would have to be careful about how the pa handled your setup, or if no pa, how you set your cabs up on stage. If the audience can't hear it it doesn't happen.
  4. brooklynbassguy

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    You're right about the PA issue. I crossing that bridge now. I'm thinking on a large stage, I would use 2 DI lines, and try to have them panned slightly favoring the opposite side of the stage. As far as stage sound, with of the artist I work with I keep my amp(s) facing sideways and tilted up toward me, and folks get what they want from their monitors. That would give them the stereo effect, but I would have that soul stirring sound and play better. One singer I work with, surrounds herself with 4 monitors of only herself with reverb-of course it's her gig.
    On small club gigs, 2 small speakers or little amps, and leave to room acoustics like so many keyboard players...
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

First off, do it for yourself. If the audience can hear it as well, great. They definitely could hear it in the small clubs I played.

In bigger clubs, first question is do they run a stereo PA? Many do not, but my suggestion of sending one stereo channel to FOH and one to the stage works really well in some cases.

A lot of guys will tell you that the stereo image will be missed by too many in the audience. If you use radical EFX like ping ponging, everyone will hear that to some degree, in my experience. Be sure to get at least ten feet between your cabs, and consider only going stereo above 250Hz or so. I got the idea for the three channel system from Pat Metheny, who supposedly got it from Jaco. I was using the rig for guitar and guitar synth as well as bass, and the stereo aspect is very important for many synth patches. I know some guys who loop bass who insist on stereo rigs too.

On more thing is: what happens when you run in mono with all that stuff? Spread cabs create issues then, and it bears consideration as to whether you'll get less throw and definition at that point.
  6. brooklynbassguy

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    It's a new direction for me. Most houses I'm in use stereo PA's-I think it's in the rider. Since mono still happens alot on in town gigs, I find my Visual Sound H2O works better for a mono chorus. It's more subtle and less warbly than the DLS. However when I can go stereo, the DLS shines. Also most of my gigs are never very loud-singers you know! :scowl:
  7. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Both of my rigs are stereo with three lines going to the PA.With my main rig,I start with a Digital Music Corp GSX switcher that goes into a Millennia TD-1,which sends my main mono signal to the PA ,and another signal to the front of my Millennia STT-1.From the STT-1 it goes into a Meyer Sound LD-2 line driver which splits the signal and sends the lows out to two Meyer Sound USW-1P powered 2x15 subs in mono,and sends the mids and highs to a Eventide Eclipse Harmonizer,which splits the mids/highs in stereo out to two Meyer Sound UPA-1P powered 1x12 cabinets.I then run the two hi z lines out of the Eventide to a Radial JD-1 6 channel DI(only using two of the channels)that send the effects in stereo to the PA.

My smaller rig starts with a Glockenklang BassArt Classic pre-amp(that is being replaced with another Millennia STT-1 that I have on order),into another Eventide Eclipse,into two Meyer Sound USM-1P powered 1x15 monitor cabinets.I use the DI on the Glock for my main DI to the PA,and right and left hi z outputs of the Eventide to a Radial dual DI for the effects in stereo to the PA.