1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone else had the same problem in his band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bass2018, Jun 1, 2018.

1. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Feb 5, 2014
    Barcelona
    IMO

There's a time for songwriting and a time for promotion and gig. I'm more on the songwriting side... but I understand the need of promotion, gigs, networking, band image, stage presence, doing a good show (playing tight and keeping the audience engaged)... We have a record released one year ago and we're promoting it by doing gigs, videoclips, and so on... Meanwhile I write some new songs and I keep them iin my hard disk until the new "songwriting period" begins.

Abotut "taking" the band leadership... For a lot of time I was the easy going dude, the one who doen't wanted arguments.. that caused sometimes lack of respect from some former bandmates.. .I was educated with a belief that being nice and not arguing with people made me a good person..I showed some weakness which made some other people step on me. I was aware of that and I worked on that with a therapist ..now it's a completely different situation..

In a band,like in every social environment,there are some group dynamics because the different personalities of the band members... Some people have a natural tendency to lead people.. and some people have a more passive role... this is human nature , not bad at all... If there's no goal as a band it's a matter of time that the more decided bandmate want to take the leader role... Someone has to take some decissions or, at least, bring ideas to the table to be discussed among the bandmates. If someone gets out of the way of talking about band decissions and says "Whatever you want..." then, this person doesn't have the right to complain about if he doesn't like a decission. In a band context the most important non musical thing I learned is not to keep my mouth closed.. for the good or the bad.. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with your bandmates it everybody talks and exposes the opinions in a respectfull way (this is the difficult part)..

Recently I quitted from a band because as someone said before..priorites change.. I was unconformtable and tired of some attitudes so I decided play the last two booked gigs and move on...

Bass2018 likes this.
  2. thekyle55

thekyle55

Mar 14, 2012
    Bands change, evolve, and end. That's the nature of the beast.

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Bass players. What are you going to do?

Bass2018 and Old Blastard like this.
  4. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    To the poster that wants bought all the equipment, approach the the band for buy out best to have receipts. If band doesn't like it take the toys and go home with out looking back.

Korladis and Bass2018 like this.
  5. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    It's this kind of crap (that the OP wrote about) that has kept me out of bands that play original material for many years... too many cooks/indians and often the ONE chief is an asshat who dictates everything.
    A band is a team.. sure.. it needs a leader, but the BL doesn't have to be autocratic. Yes, I tried the originals path a couple of times. All ended up being a waste of time, tons of headbutting and going nowhere fast.

EVERY working band should have subs available for each member. Gigs are tough enough to get without having the frontman hold the band back because they "shouldn't play without him".
    I understand that takes a level of experience and maturity to get there.. but unless there's a Legionnaires Disease outbreak locally, you should NEVER cancel a gig due to missing players unless there's simply no other alternative. Venue owners DO talk to each other, and word gets out.

There will always be folks who have differing opinions as to musical direction, control, marketing, social media, advertising and branding.
    That's because a successful band IS a business and needs be run like one.
    Sure.. the creativity ALSO needs to be there, but as mentioned to the OP, time to move on and find another group of folks that you can work with.
    My $0.02

Bass2018 likes this.
  6. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Feb 5, 2014
    Barcelona
    This!!!

:thumbsup: