1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else immediately disregard basses with a wide string spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stuffedbread, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Davbassdude

Davbassdude

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    Never thought about it too much, but I believe most 4 string Rics (and maybe the Fender Jazz?) are 19mm, so I guess that's my preference.

2. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I liked 5s and 6s that felt like a 2x8.

21mm spacing for the win.

That experimental era with custom cut 5s that were essentially 6s is long dead.
    Haslip and Claypool packing those plank neck 6 strings made an impression on me.

I liked screwing together those old Warmoth super wide 5 neck builds.

I even liked Broadneck Warwick's tho they were pushing the envelope with how chunky they were.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Anyone else immediately disregard basses with a wide string spacing?

yes that is me

Les Fret likes this.
  4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    18mm FTW!

5. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    I only look at four strings with 19mm string spacing.

And they better be light weight, 8.5 lb is the cut off. Under 8 is even better.

I don’t care what the headstock looks like, or how the tuners are arraigned.

6. Samus C

Samus C ACTIVE NEET Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    I prefer 19mm but 18 is OK. It sucks, cause barely anyone makes 18-19mm 6 strings.

7. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

No, because the neck profile itself has a lot to do with how the bass feels, as well as string spacing.
    For me It’s a balance of the elements
    I need to play any bass first before making a judgement

mickebas likes this.
  8. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

^^ what he says. It depends on many factors.
    I just converted a 4 string to a 5 1.5" nut 15.5mm at the bridge
    I have 2 5's with a 2" nut and 19mm at the bridge.

JimmyM likes this.
  9. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    It depends. 4 String, 19mm (3/4") is fine. But on 5 string I'm much more comfortable with 17.5 which is StingRay 5 or G&L JB5.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I’m the opposite. I disregard basses with a narrow spacing, with short scales (Like my Dano and Allan Woody) being the only exception.

11. Yeah, for m it has to be 19mm. 4's,5's, 6's (okay - I've never actually played a 6, but I am certain I would need 19mm).

Never tried a 20mm bass.

12. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I disregard basses with narrow spacing (unless it's a six string bass).

13. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    I prefer short scale length and narrow string spacing even on a 4-string: 1.50" nut, 17mm @ the bridge. Guild Starfire is my ideal.

I have arthritis which is aggravated by long scale, wider nuts and 19mm string spacing @ the bridge.

14. I prefer 19-20mm on any bass (4,5-or 6 string). I think it depends a lot on how you’ve practiced and set up your technique. As some have mentioned I feel it’s also a matter of the total neck design, width at nut, neck profile, frets etc. So it’s best not to be to stuck in preconceptions and give it a little time.

15. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    I seek basses with wider spacing, including wider spacing at the nut. In a six-string player, so the neck is quite wide with plenty of room for comfort. The typical J spacing at the nut feels quite cramped to me.

16. ... also I have changed preference as I got older and added years to my playing experience. As a younger player I preferred more narrow spacing but as my conception about what I want to sound like and what’s important to me when playing has changed I’ve realized the benefits of a wider spacing when it comes to note fundamental projection.

17. Prefer narrow.

stuffedbread likes this.
  18. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    My 5 string basses have the same string spacing at the bridge that my 4 string basses used to have, 18 or 19mm. Makes sense to me to maintain that difference.

19. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    I can cope with acoustic and four strings fairly wide but five strings wide apart are too much for me.

20. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Gotta have wide spacing... at bridge and the nut.