1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else tired of messing with DAW software

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by studentaccount1, Dec 20, 2006.

1. studentaccount1

studentaccount1

Nov 14, 2006
    I know it is a necessary evil in this day and age, but I am kind of tired of messing with DAW stuff on my computer.

Anyone else feel like that?

What alternatives have you guys tried/liked?

2. Do you just not like the actual fiddling with buttons and sliders on the software? If so why not add a controll surface?

If you just don't like DAW's in general, why not go DAT, Tape, or reel to reel. :D

3. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    And there's always the self-contained DAW route, anywhere from 4-24 or more tracks in one desktop unit without the hassle of a computer, yet there is the tradeoff in editing capability though. KORG, Roland/Boss and TASCAM make some great machines.

One tip AVOID Fostex units like the plague, part of the reason being their hard drive is the ever unreliable malfunctioning MAXTOR.

4. At home I fought with a Computer DAW for 2 years and never got a decent sound recorded, mainly budgetary issues but also computer gremlin problems too. Checked out a Tascam DP-01 FX and recorded a really cool tune in less than 2 hours, I wuz hooked. I do use the computer DAW for mixing and editing but for initial recording it's still the Tascam.
    If I were starting today I'd consider a Korg D888, full function 8 channel mixer with effects meets 8 trak simul digital recording for 700 bucks.
    All the digital stuff I learned has helped me out doing session work and engineering for others but for my home recordings I want fast and simple to catch the inspiration of the moment and having to be a computer engineer chases away the muse.

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    On the other hand, if you already own a mixer, you can get the old ADAT units dirt cheap nowadays....the blackfaces are going for $100 to $200!!!! That's a steal for what is still viable technology, albeit a little more primitive and slow.

6. studentaccount1

studentaccount1

Nov 14, 2006
    Good call on the ADAT.

For now I installed Audacity. It is pretty easy to use so far.

Maybe it's just my computer, but it takes a long time to export files to mp3.

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I record live bands with a Alesis HD-24 (the new adat) and mix down
    with a 24 ch A/H console and outboard gear. (sweet!)

I use my computer for talkbass.

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    just go straight off a neve board into a 2 inch machine, i promise youll like the sound.

9. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    i'm just getting started w/ cubase, and while unweildy to a luddite like me (no tv in the house), i am digging it still at this point.