1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone ever get discouraged?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Waspinators, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Well, my friend who's been playing guitar for 5 years and can play bass pretty much told me I suck at bass really bad. Before that I told him that I finally got a certain bassline down and I don't know, I guess it felt good that I finally got it down, but he replies with "Who the hell cares? I can play that with my hands tied behind my back, don't feel special, you suck at bass."

So I'm feeling kinda bad about playing bass right now, kind of discouraged. Anyone else ever feel like this?

I've been playing for about 4 months and playing with the intention of becoming good for about 1 or 2, by the way.

2. the trick is to not listen to him and just move at your own pace.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    He doesn't sound like a very good friend to me....:meh:

4. sWilshireCourt

sWilshireCourt

Aug 15, 2007
    Hey... the glory of the bass to me is the fact that I can play through my emotions. Don't even consider giving up... because the bass wants you to play it... it's like it has its own pulse... just play for self satisfaction and nothing more... you may surprise yourself!!

5. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    I can think of a lot of things to call that guy, but "friend" is not one of them.

6. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Yeah he's the kind of guy that doesn't hold back. Incidentally, I bought my bass from him...

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Indeed, boot this guy while you play "Bones" by The Killers on your bass.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ignore him. First of all, his idea of playing bass is likely far different from yours, and who cares? Different strokes for different folks.

I'm a laid back bass player who likes to groove, and not get too fancy. There are people that are technically better than me, but overplay constantly. Find your own style, keep practicing, and ignore the gui****s that tell you otherwise.

9. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Kick him in the nads. He deserves it.

10. Your "friend" is a douche. You should bag his girlfriend.

11. BassProle

BassProle

Jul 2, 2007
    Dude, that guy sounds like a f****** d*** h***!!!

This guy sounds like a real nasty piece of work.

If hes any sort of mate, never mind just a decent person, hed recognize that youve only been playing for a few months and try to encourage you. EVERYONE has been where you are now and remebers what it feels like.

I think this guy is threatened by your bass playing prowess and is just trying to put you down.

Keep your head up dude and dont let some jerk put you down!! Good Times!!

12. This reminds me of when I has just say got into bass.
    I was in halls until recently and there was nowhere to really practice, apart from a crumbling, tiny practice room with one plug. So I often went into the TV lounge.
    The major problem was an accoustic guitarist who also went in there, with a BIG group of friends. He sought nothing other than to insult me and my bassplaying. He was the usual "bass is easy, it only has four strings" type, and it was made worse by the fact he said he was classically trained.
    It got to the point where I was seriously considering giving up the bass and I hated leaving my room and going to lectures.
    Luckily I'm now rid of him and I am much happier as a bassplayer, more able and more confident.

My advice- don't listen. You're in a similar place to what I was, and the only way you are going to get better is by PLAYING. You've been playing a few months, give it time.

Good Luck!

13. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    it's probably because he's secretly in love with you.

forget him and his opinion. go at your own pace.

14. lowb1970

lowb1970

Feb 29, 2004
    Columbia SC
    This guy doesn't sound like a very good friend. I personally would love to see someone play a bass line with their arms tied behind their back. :) Now that would be some talent! Hang in there and go at your own speed. Don't care what anyone else says. Only think positive about your own journey.

15. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    You've been playing 4 months? Dont listen to the guy, keep playing, do your own thing, play what you like, dont worry about whether or not youre good, just play and have fun. The being good part WILL come.

And tell your friend he's an idiot. You dont tell someone whos been playing for 4 months that they suck, they just started. He must not be that good to begin with. My guess is he sees how fast you're learning music compared to how slow his gui****ist brain did and he's throwing crap at you.

16. It's important to remove yourself from the criticism in this case as it's not constructive. Also remember that at some stage he was at the same point.

17. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.

oooooooooo, guitar a whole five years, he must be awesome.....not. Like most guitar players he's probably not nearly as good at guitar as he thinks he is.

If you practice often for just a few months you'll get good enough to play in bands. As a bass player you'll have far more offers than a guitar player.

get in a couple of bands and then laugh at him as he wanks on his guitar alone at home.

18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    1. Find a good bass teacher.

2. Take lessons.

3. Practice hard.

4. Smoke your friend with your new skills.

Don't get depressed by the things he said to you. Use it as motivation....something positive.

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I agree. Sounds like a good way forward!

20. Don't take the rude comments as a discouragement. Instead, use it as encouragement to learn, practice and become a better player. No one ever gets good at anything by feeling sorry for themselves. And don't forget, no matter how good you get at playing bass, there will always be people like your "friend" that will have something bad to say. This is life.