1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone ever try laying their cab flat?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim Nazium, Apr 29, 2009.

1. I have a small cab (Acme B-1), and i was just wondering about laying it flat on the floor, with the drivers facing up, instead of tilting it back or putting it on a chair. It's side-ported, not rear-ported. Would that make it easier for everyone in the rehearsal room to hear it? Anyone ever try it?

2. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm sure it would sound fine for rehearsals, but if you're cab is facing up where are you going to set your beverage?

BTW, I like your sig quote. :)

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

+1 on both points

4. how would you plug it in if the back is on the floor?

for an acoustic gig I put my avatar face down on the ground off stage, it actually worked really well and gave the floor a nice rumble without being too loud.

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The sound coming from the port won't help your bandmates hear; it's far too deep to matter. What they'll hear is mids. Point the cones directly at people's ears. Set the cab vertically, on top of a table, and you'll be turning down.

The vertical arrangement improves dispersion of mids, which will be a big help.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I really hope this is a joke 'cos anyone who allows liquids on top of their equipment is facing a future hefty repair bill!

Paul

7. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I've seen an 8x10 ampeg on its side and facing backwards. They used in ear monitors and he did this so he could still feel the bass.

8. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    That's easy, on the grill or on top of your amp. The amp is a good idea if you have a cold drink because it helps keep the amp cool.;)

9. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I've had a drunken sorority girl ride a Shure Pa column off the stage and yanking a Showman (PA Head) off a chair and to the floor.

I accidently laid an 810 backwards during some testing without thinking and busted the input jack (Temp was using 1/4")

I don't think i'd do this distruction willingly.

BOB

10. //smacks self on forehead
    That would be a little problem with my plan ...

11. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Solution: Amp cart made out of a piece of wood with wheels on the corners and a small hole in the middle.

12. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    Depends. If it's like my Acoustic B600H with the vents on top yes. If it's like my Peavey combo amp. No. That amp is 23 yrs old with many a beer set on top with no ill effect. Well not for the amp anyway. :)

13. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Well I was speaking in fun, but actually for me it depends on which setup I'm using. At my rehearsal space I'm typically using my old Crate combo, no top vents or anything plus it's an inexpensive pawnshop item so yes I usually have a beverage along with songlists, tuner, and sometimes a laptop.

My Peavey head has top vents, so no beverages on the top of that one.

Also probably geeky, but you'll find me drinking coffee 9 out of 10 times at my rehearsals, only the occasional beer and that's usually only if our rehearsal has a guest guitarist or keyboardist (got some good local talent that love to drop in and play some blues) and instead of working we are doing more of a jam. ;)

14. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I don't see any problem with facing the amp upwards for rehearsal, really. You're probably using the rather uniform ceiling as a reflector for the higher frequencies, which disperses down in a cone.

Of course, this point is moot if you straddle said cabinet and blast your nads in the process.

15. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Can't do. My (single, sigh) 115 has its port in the back.

But it's kickback. Maybe that's something to try? I've seen a couple of people put square cabinets on wooden supports, to angle them at 45°.

16. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Not geeky.

17. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    OK before I finish hacking through my wrists with this dull fish scaler... I'm going to try this laying the cab down again. But since I already broke one jack I'm going to lay it over on its front.

The guy with the port in the back this looks like a viable option for him too. I think I'm going to take a few weeks off now. BYE BYE.. BOB

18. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Oooooooohhhhhhh, must go home and try this. :D

19. ... honey? I have an idea...

20. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Another double +1