1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Familiar With Ibanez RDGR?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HubbardsFate, Feb 20, 2013.

1. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Hey Guys,

Just Wondering if anyone here has experience with and/or owns an Ibanez RDGR (Roadgear) bass. I am thinking about adding a new axe to the arsenal. Would like to (and will) get a Carvin or two at some point. But I have had great luck with Ibanez in the past (BTB 6-string, current ATK 4-string) and I really like the look of those RDGR basses (massive slab bodies do something for me...)

Any input would be appreciated!

2. stichintime

stichintime

Oct 11, 2011
    Chester NH
    The Road Gear basses were the predecessor to the Sound Gear or SR line by Ibanez. IIRC, I'm thinking aprox 1988?

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Ah the Road Gear. Nice basses to see. Never played one unfortunatly, but looking at the Humbucker / Single Coil configuration, it looks ideal for slapping and the heavier music genres :)

4. I played one in a guitar store. It was nice, but I was tempted away by a Jewel Blue GSR200. Decent bass the RDGR, if I recall correctly.

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Top of the 2005 line MIK Rd900
    It's mahogany body with 1" thick flamed maple top
    It sports Seymour Duncan's Basslines bridge "MM" humbucker and neck "Jazz" pickup but it can go active/passive with an on/off switch and:
    - two band equalizer;
    - controls are master volume (with push/pull coiltap) blend, bass, treble, on/off switch;
    - when volume is pushed down, you select from front pickup to bridge humbucker in serial mode;
    - when volume is pulled up, you select from front pickup and closest to the bridge only humbucker coil in parallel, Jazz style manner

In 2006 Rd900 turned full ash body (instead of mahogany with flamed maple top) and added a mid/switch 250hz/600hz selector much like Soundgears to come

From 2007 on no more Rd line

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. That setup was actually quite versatile. I used one while my Spector was under the knife. It was solid. I couldn't quite get the action where I wanted, but it could handle many different styles & the tone shaping of the EQ was good.