1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

anyone have a musicman stingray control plate template??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hecTr0n, Dec 22, 2013.

1. hecTr0n

hecTr0n

Jan 6, 2011
    Hi all, was wondering if anyone here could lead me in the direction of getting a template for a music man stingrays control plate. i really dont want to remove mine to get an accurate template. thanks !

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Strange, I wonder why this thread was moved from Luthiers Corner to Setup and Repair. Seems to me a control cavity template would be used more for building an instrument instead of repairing one. Either way its not a big deal.

Do you need a template for a bass with the metal control plate, or for one with the controls mounted to the pick guard?

If its a pick guard mounted, I would just do a bath tub rout. If its for a metal control plate, I would trace the plate and mark the screw holes on a piece of paper, and draw a cavity inside the cover as large as you can make it while staying inside your tracing. Then glue the paper to a piece of MDF with spray adhesive and cut it out on on a band saw, or better yet, a scroll saw.