1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone here have sleep apnea?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Oct 15, 2007.

1. My father does. He had terrible snoring and went through the sleep studies. He now uses a CPAP machine every night and has regular check-ups. It's nothing to mess around with, if you feel you may be suffering from conditions it's always best to talk to your doctor regarding it.

2. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I was lucky enough to have a portable sleep test kit that allowed me to do my sleep study from home. They gave you the basic training on how to hook yourself up, and away you go. Got a reasonable, typical night of sleep and returned the portable sleep study kit to the sleep lab for analysis. A few weeks later I was prescribed a CPAP and have been using one ever since.

My study revealed about 28+/- obstructive apnea episodes per hour, and never was getting into REM sleep. My doctor said that at this point this was not a serious problem, but that successful use of the CPAP would result in a much better quality of life, and the ability to wake up feeling refreshed and ready to go, as opposed to sluggish and lethargic throughout the day.

Using the CPAP, I've gotten excellent results sleeping in a "sitting up" position. My obstructive apnea occurrences have dropped down to an average of 1-2 per hour, and on a good night, fewer than 0.5 episodes per hour. I no longer snore, and everyone sleeps better.

Though the full-face mask I wear is a TOTAL drag in general, I can honestly say the "quality of life" results have been well worth it. If you have the insurance to help cover the costs, recommend the CPAP.

SirMjac28, Stumbo and mrpackerguy like this.
  3. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Is there ANYONE who has had a sleep study and then NOT been recommended for a CPAP? I have this conspiracy theory (though I don't really believe it myself) that everyone who has a sleep study gets a CPAP and soon, we'll be a nation of CPAPers. I'm a CPAPer, you're a CPAPer, wouldn't you like to be a CPAPer too?

SirMjac28, TOOL460002 and Stumbo like this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Alien?

5. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    People w sleep problems get sleep studies. No conspiracy, just sleepless partners.

MJ5150 likes this.
  6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I have a theory that people in general can no longer distinguish between correlation and causality. If a study of owners of blue cars shows a big portion of them have brown hair, that doesn't mean that driving a blue car will make your hair turn brown!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    TOOL460002 likes this.
  7. Well, the place that does the study and has the doctor who makes the recommendation also stocked and sold the machines. You may be onto something here...

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Kinda like how you get that questionnaire about alcohol at the doctor. I think everyone is an alcoholic after answering those questions.
    I'm leaning to what @Stumbo said. If you're in there getting a sleep study, there is something wrong to begin with.

-Mike

jimfist, TOOL460002 and Stumbo like this.
  9. True. There's the rare hypochondriac, I'm sure, but sleep studies suck. A lot. Try falling asleep at 9PM in a strange place with this electrode hat they connect with a greasy, waxy compound.

It's not at all how I sleep at home. No point now, but I should've done the home test. Relax and wind down like normal. Crash at midnight.

Plus they have you take any medications you normally take, but if you take it at 11pm for 8yrs, then one weird night at like 8pm, something is bound to be off. Even medications that could cause some physical effects that could look like sleep apnea. No mention of it during the evaluation. Weird.

Also no mention of psychiatric medications for bipolar disorder, specifically the kind that is prone to manic episodes and nights with little to no sleep. Does any of that seem at least slightly relevant?

10. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    But that's kinda like saying everyone who goes to the cardiologist gets a bypass surgery. Is CPAP the ONLY way to treat sleep disorder?

TOOL460002 likes this.
  11. A CPAP machine won't help insomnia and I can tell you it doesn't help bipolar disorder. It is only for people who have physical obstructions in their nose or perhaps a tongue or throat issue that obscures the passage to the lungs, and they set up the machines for the issue mostly by pressure.

Also, the more weight people put on the more weight is on your lungs, so the pressure helps there as well. And even something benign like snoring can be cured. Wide range of issues, but some require medication.

The machine isn't always the answer. Helped my dad. Didn't help me. But our issues were so completely different.

jimfist likes this.
  12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Unfortunately this is true. I FINALLY spent my first night at home on CPAP last night. There was a comedy of errors and problems between the last sleep test to now which I won't go into because it makes me angry. It was an odyssey, but I finally got there.

Problem is I was still awake at 3am, just lying there with my mask on trying to fall asleep. Stupid insomnia! This is going to take some getting used to!

Having said that, 4 hours of CPAP sleep and I feel, better than usual this morning. I can't wait to see what it feels like to got 7-8 hours of proper sleep.

TOOL460002 and MJ5150 like this.
  13. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    It helped my insomnia. As my brain got used to better sleep, it helped my body clock adjust to a more normal schedule.

Stick with it!

MJ5150 and bholder like this.
  14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I'm afraid to even sleep without my machine after years of waking up chocking or having that devastating sleep paralysis l finally feel safe.

Stumbo, TOOL460002 and MJ5150 like this.
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Sorry for that odyssey to get you to this point. Maybe this song from the band Odyssey and the sweet bassline from Mark Adams will help you forgot about it....

-Mike

Petebass likes this.
  16. If you hate sleep paralysis hope you never have to take seroquel/quentiepine. Dreading falling back asleep is something no one should need to deal with. Glad the machine is helpful though.

Stumbo likes this.