Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone out there on salary?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Intune, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Turns out the band breaking up was a good thing. Isn't it funny how things seem to work out for the better?
    I can't really go into details yet namewise but I auditioned for a band yesterday & they just called to let me know I have the gig! They had some really nice things to say which always helps one's self-esteem. No, my head is not the size of a Macy's Day balloon. Yet!
    Some cool things about this gig-
    Salaried. 52 weeks. Tour or no tour.
    Hotels whenever travel constraints allow. Ahhh... Prevost hell avoided.
    All meals provided. If venue fails on food, a per diem is issued.

I know G. Strait's people are salaried, I was wondering if anyone else is doing this.

2. Wow, sounds like you're very lucky. Sounds like the kind of gig most of us can only dream about. I doubt too many of us around here have that kind of situation currently. Let us know how things go.

3. Thanks, I am very pumped & looking forward to gettin' out in Sept. I haven't seen the contract yet and wonder if there is anything in it about pickup gigs, studio, etc. I was kinda hoping somebody on here had been in this sort of situation & could point out any hazards. Oh, well, that's what lawyers are for, not that I see myself bitchin my way out of a great gig. I'm feeling a bit embarrassed now. :oops:

4. Cool, let us know when you've got gigs scheduled around town.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What kind of hotels? How much is the per diem for food?

-Mike

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    The two guys I play with (guitar and drummer) both joined a band out of NYC on salary, about 10 years ago. They toured Europe for two years, playing seven nights a week. Hotels and meals were picked up. The bucks weren't great, but they got to see Europe.

7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Definitely have an attorney look at the contract, that's important.

Make sure there is some understanding about hours of work and/or free time. You will need to get some personal time away from the rest of the band now and then (believe me, you WILL need some time).

This may be obvious but what type of contract is it? Are you an actual employee or a 1099 contractor? What type of tax documentation will you get at the end of the year? Do you need to put away money for payment of taxes and social security? How often do you get paid ... once a week, once a month, or at the end of a tour?

Generally, your attorney will get all of this clarified for you....

Congrats on the gig, hope all works out well :cool:

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    point,

can you elaborate btwn a regular employee and a "1099" contractor?