1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone own an ESP D4 bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Velocityx, Mar 13, 2008.

1. I'm seriously considering to buy this bass. I've got this ****** BC Rich Bronze Warlock, so I'm definitely in need of a new one. I've been playing the Warlock for 1.5 years, and I'm really getting fed up with the bad sounds, humming etc... And the bass has many little irritating problems, such as the strap-screws are very loose, the jack-input is quite loose, it sounds quite bad...
    ---->New Bass.

So I'm asking if anyone has this ESP D4 Bass? I've tested it once, and it sounded quite friggin' sweet! I boosted the mid-range a lot with a good bass-amp at the music store, and it sounded a bit like a Wal. I'm a huge fan of Tool and Justin Chanchellor, and I've always tried to get Wallish sounds. So naturally I was amazed. It looks like this:
    31X73Qx%2BmKL._AA250_.

So what do you think? Experiences? Is this a good bass? I'm kinda noob in these thingies, so I'd like some guys with more experience...
    Here's a direct link to ESP's site of the bass:
    http://www.espguitars.com/basses_d.html

And the price I'm willing to pay for a new bass is about 400-500€, so that fits the pricepoint perfectly.

Thanks!

2. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    I have an ESP C-304 and I love it. It is crazy versatile. A little bit tougher to play then my Jazz but lots of options tonewise. I bet this is a pretty good bass.

3. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    That's my main bass right now. Really awesome bass. Incredible tone, lots of growl, really nice neck, etc. My only complaint is that it's a little on the heavy side. I solved that issue by getting a neotech strap (anything that's got a little bit of padding, or even just a thick leather strap will do).

Since I've owned it, I've noticed that I've slowly been polishing the finish on the neck, and around the pickup where my hand rests. I'm not exactly sure what's causing this, but I'm pretty sure it's from the oils on my hands, and the amount I've been playing it (probably 6 hours a week). I LOVE how the recently shiny parts look and I'm really considering finding a way to polish the entire bass.

Anyway, you'll dig the bass for sure.

Here's a pic of me playin it (METAL!):

l_47195414c9678b4a68d200ef14a93871.

4. Wow, awesome MoD_Scotty! :cool:
    Really thanks for enlightening me! I wished someone who had this bass could tell me about it, and my wish became reality. Thank you very much again!
    And when I tested it, it wasn't too heavy from what I remember. Really, my Warlock weighs a friggin' lot, so heaviness won't be a problem as I'm used to it! ;)
    I'm pretty confident of getting it, now.

Thank you very much again!
    Anyone else with experiences of this bass? Much aprreciated!:p

5. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    No problem, glad I could help! I wish I had some sound samples that I could post. Maybe I'll record some this weekend. Regardless, I've found the bass sounds great no matter how I play it (finger, slap, tapping, etc).

One more thing...I found mine in a local shop for $350US brand new.

^^^ I just realized that's only about 224 Euro!

6. Yeah, but no way of getting one for that cheap in here... They cost 445€ at the cheapest internet store, and at a local ESP reseller, 519 €.
    It's always like this:
    Something costs 600 $ in US...
    ...It costs 600€ in Europe. It's always converted like that, and it sucks. And usually they cost even a bit more than the straight dollars-to-euros conversion. It sucks, but that's how it goes.
    One option would be to import it from USA. But should something be faulty in the bass...it'd get REALLY difficult to deal with the warranty and repair thingies overseas.

So I probably must pay the high price for it. Awesome bass though. I can pay the price for it.

7. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    Yeah, you're much better off just getting it locally.

8. Yeah, that will be my choice. No extra hassle.

Post in this thread if you want to give me sound samples or any info about the bass...
    Thanks very much for the info on this bass! Thanks very much indeed! bass.

9. U like it?
    GET IT!
    It's an awesome bass with cool features!

10. It has the same electronics as my NEW 2008 ESP LTD B155DX-(well mine has SB-5 pu's). Passive Soaps with FANTASTIC Lows & Highs with the active 3 band EQ. Crystal Clear sound! SIT power wound strings. Nice fast neck-not sure what the string spacing is on the 4 banger, but the 5er is 16mm. You wont be disappointed!

11. Hah, I AM getting this bass!
    D-4_NS-d79ea140b7a53114621294270164c2f7.
    I'm ordering it tomorrow. Getting it to use @ 10th of April, though.
    Why?

That's my 18th birthday, that's why![​IMG]

I'm so happy to get a new bass! Also a new amp, probably a Warwick Blue Cab 30W.

12. Don't mean to derail the thread but I just wanted to say I'm really digging your bad mang. I just sent a friend request. Cool bass. I almost bought an ESP recently.

13. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
  14. The breakdown at the end is bone crushing.

15. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    LOL, thanks!

16. First off, BEST SMILIE EVER!!! And, gratz looks like a nice bass, might just pick one up just to have around.

17. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
  18. acedabone

acedabone

Nov 11, 2010
    I have a ESP D-6 that I use as my main Bass and I love it! Everywhere I play, somebody tries to get me to sell it! And btw... I got mine for $260 from MR because it was scratched from the factory. A true steal in my eyes!

19. I use an LTD AX-404. Got it for €500, which is quite good (extremely so for a shop, in Ireland). It's great, extremely versatile and comfortable, and very nice to play. I'd say go for it.

20. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    First Id say you should learn to fix your current basses easilly fixed problems. Screwdriver should take care of loose strap button. Pliers to fix loose jack. Maybe a loose wire to reattach for grounding to fix hum problem. Then you'll be better prepared to take care of and maintain a new bass. It never ceases to amaze me when peeps complain about loose input jacks and such since checking for same (any loose screws & nuts) is a basic first thing to do when gets instrument home as part of basic inspection.

That esp ltd is nice bass, though I prefer the F sries models myself.