Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone playing a David ?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by godoze, Sep 1, 2004.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I'd like some feedback (no pun intended) on this amp if anyone has any experience with it.

2. I'd like to hear if anyone's tried one, too. But at 50 watts into a 6" driver and 30 watts into the tweeter, it's hard to imagine it being useful for anything but the lowest volume drummerless gigs.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    True. I'm just tired of carrying my current stuff.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    tom i think iread that it is 200w.

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Disclaimer: I am not sure this is going to help much.

I did try one, at Musicora 2004 (music dealer show in Paris), on a carved Chinese bass with a SatB pickup, but in a tiny sound booth. Nice and tight sound, lots of preamp and phantom power to mix all the pickups and mics you can think of. You can plug an additional bass cabinet called Bass for extra ooomph. The whole package is cute and can generate a sizeable amount of G.A.Z. It's expensive, Velvet/Schertler likes to shoot for the hi end of the market. It sounded really good and clean in the sound booth at Musicora, so I would appreciate a fair field test report for that thing (hence the disclaimer to start this post).

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I think I'm gonna try one

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    How about the Unico ? That seems like a decent unit.

8. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Memphis
    Don, I prefer the pub280 over the Unico. More power and I
    like the flexibility of using different preamps instead of the
    multi-channel Unico with reverb. The pub280 does weigh
    more though.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i got a quote of $1099 on the Unico...any ideas on the pub280 ?

10. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Memphis
    The last price I got from Chris at Schertler USA was $1000
    list. I'm not positive the pub280 is still available in the US
    but he might have some in stock.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Find me another VL208 and I can get you one for whatever it cost you. :)

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis ?

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Seriously though, the thing that has me interested in the david and bass is the boost system. When David hits certain frequencies it crosses over to Bass that is a 200w powered sub for handling certain frequencies.

It sounds really interesting.

14. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I just checked out some of the docs but was not able to find the cutover frequency. Here's the thing: the Pub 1/380 bass extension extends the Pub 2/280 at 120 Hz. It's a ridiculous amount of extra weight to carry just for 120 Hz and below. Not one person who I've asked about the 1/380 - including one of the 2/280 endorsers, thinks it's worth the trouble and instead you're much better off using two 2/280s like Monte does. According to the doc, the Side is the recommended "companion" speaker to the David but that is a full range speaker not a bass extension like the 1/380.

I guess my point is that I think if you investigate this further (and I did) then you'll work out that a 2/280 is the better way to go. When I was buying my 2/280, the David was just being announced and I looked at it well as the Unico, the Side, and all the original equipment made by SR Technology in Italy who make these speaker systems for Schertler. The SR Tech systems called the JAM combos are the ones that the David and the like are based on.

Anyway, I concluded that I was just better off getting a Pub 2/280 and I did.

15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am working on that...

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

Yes, Adrian, you have forced me to do homework. At any rate I think you are right. Bhave you checked out the Unico or the David ?

17. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have not actually had a chance to try the Unico or the David. On specs alone and for my own purposes, I determined that the Pub 2/280 was the best way to go. In terms of money, I think it's the best value for money too of all the Schertler speaker offerings. I think it very much depends how much amplification you need but for me, while the Pub is quite powerful for it's small size (although it is heavy), I don't think I would want substantially less power.

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    So are you Pub users using preamps with this thing or are you going dry signal from the bass ?

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Raven Labs PMB-1 ---> Presonus EQ3B --->PUB

20. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002