1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone tried the Phil Jones CAB-47?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Barcza, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Barcza

Barcza Supporting Member

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I sold my GS115 cab, and searching for a new cab for my Aguilar AG 500sc. Now I interested to smaller speakers conception cabs...
    I looking for something pretty lightweight, clear, flat sounding cab what really cut trough....
    This cab has good price, and Phil Jones had good reputation, I tried 4x5 usa made PJ cabs, but this one seems a bit different and China “assembled”.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have not had experience with them, but curious as well.

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have two Cab 27’s that I run together for my Electric rig and they are great. I want to try one of them with my upright bet haven’t yet. I have a EA VL110 but I think it’ll be too boomy for my upright and I think the Cab27 might be a better choice but haven’t tried it out yet.

Barcza likes this.
  4. Barcza

Barcza Supporting Member

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Please Try!:)

5. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    Cab 27 sounds amazing with upright in my practice room, much more defined than my GK 12. Low end but no mud. Will get gig tested tomorrow

Barcza likes this.
  6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Most of Phil Jones line is built in China.

7. unbrokenchain

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    IMG_0565[1].JPG

Options. All three of these rigs are 200w.. both cabs (old '72 Peavey and the new Phil Jones) are 8ohm. With the ABY pedal pictured, I could theoretically run both cabs off the ELF, and the GK at the same time. Not sure where I'd ever need that much sound but it's cool to know it's possible. Poor old heavy Crate doesn't leave the house but it's a beast, made in USA too.

Gig tomorrow is outdoor, huge wide open space. Going to see what the Phil Jones 27 will do on its own, but I'll have the GK in the car for backup.

8. unbrokenchain

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    Unbrokenchain really likes the cab 27. Granted, it wasn't quite the stage volume I was thinking it would be, guitar direct, vocals and fiddle used a condenser mic and no monitors, but the mains were cranked pretty good, and the elf/27 is LOUD. I didn't run a line to the PA, didn't use a preamp with the Realist (just to see what it'd do), and the bartender (across the way in the shipping container..) asked me to turn down the bass. :) I had gain just barely off the bottom and volume a touch more than halfway on the elf. Tons of headroom even with just one cab. Easily enough to hang with a drummer.

Sound quality? Dude. Great. No sacrifice of low end, at all. In fact for the first set it was way too bassy and boomy and it took me a minute to figure out why - the rear ports! The sound was bouncing off the masonite "wall" and created a lot of reverb/mud. I ended up putting the rig in front of me by the fire extinguisher post, facing out. The rear ports were then facing me, and I found it to be advantageous since I could still hear my bass very clearly but the bulk of the volume was going out front.

Pizz sound was very similar to my GK 112ii, it would be interesting to blind test and see if I can tell them apart. I did a good number of tunes arco as well, and it's easily the best sound with the bow I've ever gotten with a pickup. (!!!)

I do wish the elf had more than a 3-band EQ, even one more knob would be great, but I won't complain considering the size of the thing.

"boomy" amp position.
    IMG_0566[1].JPG

The one bar in Ashevegas that's not crowded on a Friday night. French Broad Outfitters Hominy Creek, they're a little off the beaten path but a popular spot for pulling boats and tubes out of the river. Paddle the river, grab a beer and some tunes when you're done ;) Dog friendly as well. If we had started at 4pm we would have had a crowd, but instead we started at 8pm, so it trickled out pretty thin by the time we finished. Meh, wasn't such a bad thing for us since it was our first time playing together and we got to experiment a little.
    IMG_0567[1].JPG

crocau, Barcza and Chris Fitzgerald like this.