1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anything a pick can do that fingers cant?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jaebee, Feb 21, 2008.

1. jaebee

jaebee

Mar 16, 2007
    I am mostly a fingers player, but i do practice with a pick sometimes. I was wondering if there is anything a pick can do that fingers cant, other than tone. I mean, notes are notes, right?

i can think of sweeping, but only because i can't. i have seen people do it

2. mean_dorris

mean_dorris

Jan 1, 2008
    pick slides :)

3. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Suck. :)

4. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I paly almost exclusively with my fingers except when my band covers Tool songs. I used to play Tool covers with my fingers only but have found the dynamics to be suffering without using a pick. Sure you can use your finger nails and try to pull off certain licks, but sometimes it just takes a pick to create that certain sound. I was very biased about playing finger style only, but now recently, the past year I have found that pick playing has made me a better and more rounded bassist. My advice to you is try and play both styles. I have excelled in fingerstyle playing, but I have rekindled my love for our instrument with using a pick when necessary. It actually is quite fun!:D

5. Well it's a whole lot easier to do pinch harmonics with a pick, although some people seem to do it well with just fingers...

6. you can light a celluloid pick on fire.

Try that with your fingers and you'll end up like the one-handed bass player.

7. I've always played with fingers...I find pick is really good for learning tunes because it has a midi boring tone...

8. Twnty1inRF

Twnty1inRF

Sep 13, 2007
    DC Region
    Well, I've never seen anyone drop a finger while playing:)

9. You need a pick to "grind" the strings and get that cool rock sound. Not always called for, but a nice technique.

10. +1 to all of the above!
    I got in trouble during marching band practice once cause while the director was explaining something to the percussion, I set one of my celluloids on fire which surprised quite a few people.
    Plus I've seen to many pop-punk bassists who have to stop a song every time their bassist drops his pick. Unless you have leprosy, there's no reason your fingers shouldn't fall off!

11. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Palm muting. You can also stick a piece of foam under there or palm mute and use your thumb, but do people palm mute and play with their fingers?

12. OUCH!

Also, that really tight attack from a pick is sumthin' us finger players can't have. As much as I hate t, I use a pick on some songs so I can get that crisp attack, a la Tool.

13. washtub_bass

washtub_bass

Aug 10, 2005
    Detroit
    a pick can scratch the string windings while driving a solid groove... its a cool sound.

14. I do, on account of my love for reggae and ska.

it hurts and it's not fun :scowl:

15. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Like you I have almost too much respect for them to slaughter their songs using only my fingers!:)

16. jaebee

jaebee

Mar 16, 2007
    thats the main reason i dont pick :)

17. rooted

rooted

Feb 3, 2005
    Corona, CA
    A pick can be tossed out into the audience after a righteous solo. Or can be used as a form of business card by putting your name and contact info on it.

18. dbcandle

dbcandle

Jan 30, 2008
    Fingers-plucking is very good, but I really also like:
    • Picking
    • Pick w/palm mute
    • Thumb slap
    • String-pop

I'd palm-mute while plucking with thumb, but that hurts after a minute or two. Tap & false-harmonics are beyond me...

19. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Picks have a tonal and pecussive quality that is difficult (not impossible) to get fingerstyle.

I think that both styles are useful for bassplayers to know.

Pickstyle/fingerstyle, it's all good. Never allow prejudice to limit your musicianship.

20. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    +1,000,000
    [/thread]