1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

appropriate new bridge for cheap bass?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jack_gvr, Mar 4, 2008.

1. jack_gvr

jack_gvr Commercial User

Mar 4, 2008
    San Miguel de Allende
    1/2 owner, Guitar Vacation Retreats
    Gentlemen:
    I'm a guitar player, and not much of a bass player. We are living in Mexico, and make periodic trips to Paracho to buy guitars either for ourselves or to resell to our students. Please don't laugh, I bought a Paracho upright bass to fool around with for under 200 bucks USD (2000 pesos Mexican). (Mexican street musicians play these things all over the country.) It's a pretty primitive instrument, solid carved top but plywood back (and I'm all too familiar with the sometimes terminal limitations of cheap Paracho guitars, so don't tell me) and the bridge is a single carved piece of unidentifiable hardwood. We do a lot of setup work on guitars, so I plunged in and trimmed the feet of the bridge to lower the action, but after a couple of tries I took too much off, so I need another one now! It seems like it might make sense to buy a real bridge that's adjustable - if it doesn't cost more than the bass did, of course!

Can somebody point me to a URL for an online source, preferably in the USA, for an appropriate bridge for this instrument? Thanks.

I see that there is a wealth of setup information on this forum, and thanks to all of you for that. I think I will have enough info to hack it myself, and I don't have a lot invested, so I'm happy to use this bass for an all-around learning experience.

--- Jack

2. jack_gvr

jack_gvr Commercial User

Mar 4, 2008
    San Miguel de Allende
    1/2 owner, Guitar Vacation Retreats
    Thanks! I have shimmed it already, of course, but I didn't glue the shims on.
    Next step.
    --- Jack