1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are bass amps obsolete?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sanwin17, Jan 30, 2019.

1. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    If the used amp market is any indication, non-Ampeg fridge-size rigs are out of vouge.
    I have my big PJB rig for sale locally on CL (I can't imagine the cost or logistics of shipping it), and while I have had some interest in the head, it seems nobody wants large cabs anymore, no matter how good they sound.

Paragon3 and sanwin17 like this.
  2. sanwin17

sanwin17 Please mommy, you just gotta buy this amplifier. Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Try listing your PJB here on Tb Classifieds. Which cab do you have?

3. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    I bought the full-meal deal.
    I have an M-500 head, along with 8-T and 16-B cabs, same as the rig pictured here...

100_3873-.

Not quite as big as an SVT, but its more than 2x as powerful, and just a tad heavier...

4. sanwin17

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Bet it sounds awesome though.

superdick2112 likes this.
  5. rollie 55

rollie 55

Oct 1, 2018
    lost in space
    yes :thumbsup: :) :bassist:

sanwin17 likes this.
  6. rollie 55

rollie 55

Oct 1, 2018
    lost in space
    bring in the big guns ;) :thumbsup:

superdick2112, Loring and sanwin17 like this.
  7. Mike Romanowski

Mike Romanowski

Apr 20, 2015
    All I can say is Thank God I’ll probably be dead and long gone by then or at least incapable of doing any gigging. Of coarse I’m sure there will always be the retro gig or bar that will still embrace the old sound systems and amps. Can’t imagine there not being any listeners left that wouldn’t want to still “feel” the sound!!

sanwin17 and two fingers like this.
  8. Yup. It's heading that way. Random (DUI) booze testing by the cops, and punters who don't want to pay for entertainment are killing it.

sanwin17 likes this.
  9. Not the norm I know, but thru our pa we have 5 trumpets, 5 trombones & 6 saxes sharing a couple of mics per row (for solos, but never switched off), 2 vocalists and we DI the (electric) piano for bit of extra spread, but guitar, bass & drums are rarely in the pa, so we can play at a reasonable volume on stage;) Having said that I run a Puma 500 through a little fearless 112H and never need > vol 4. If I was to do without an on-stage rig, I'd want in ears and a bassboard to stand on, or maybe one of those new back vibrators.

sanwin17, Wisebass and JimmyM like this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Interesting lineup. What kind of musics?

11. Captainrosette

Captainrosette

Nov 30, 2017
    We play rock-metal and I use only my Darkglass preamp with cabinet simulation. That goes directly to PA and my IEM. No need for loud and heavy amp an stage. I am little bit confused from what I read here. We in Czech Republic have full PA even for smaller venues (approx 80 listeners). For medium venues about 150+ people you always have full PA with enough wedges for every player and independent AUX mix. I switched to playing only with IEM and I can hear my bass more clear, than with amp. And when I want, I can hear the complete mix of the song when I need to hear what our guitarist plays on rehersals.

You don't have full PA for small venues in the world?

David Lakin likes this.
  12. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    no.. :crying:

13. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    That is not my situation. I have to make my own noise and none of the bands I see gigging at a local or touring level are doing away with amps.

IME for most of us, bass amps are not obsolete, redundant or being replaced.

14. Never had that kind of money then (or now, for that matter). Main axe was an Electra Phoenix X-630 (oddball P clone) on which I routed in a J by the bridge. Killer top and bottom and sustain for days (one of the early Matsumoku versions).
    Search of that tone also took me into biamping with full rackmount gear culminating in in a Gauss 18 bottom and 2X10 top, after I tired of hauling around 2-2X15 cabs and a small one for the top (think it was an Altec coaxial 12 cab)
    Needless to say, I have more than a little hearing damage today (tinnitus and high end loss). That makes this whole amp Vs Monitors Vs ITE all the more relevant now.

15. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Recently had to buy a new amp after having worked towards an ampless setup for years.

Turns out, that some venues still employ "sound engineers" that can't "engineer" their way out of a wet paper bag.

Paragon3 and sanwin17 like this.
  16. sanwin17

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Sounds like a fun big band. In that situation you would want a "music emanating from the stage vibe" to sound authentic.

Paragon3 and -Asdfgh- like this.
  17. sanwin17

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Yup, but they can engineer your band into one (wet paper bag).

18. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Bags are tricksy. Especially the wet ones.

Wisebass, Paragon3 and sanwin17 like this.
  19. frequently no. Even when we do, it isn't used like yours. The bass is off and the bassist has at it with his rig.

sanwin17 likes this.
  20. It's pretty easy to see why nobody wants that speaker rig.. It's very much a case of complexity. What I'm wondering is why YOU WANT TO SELL? as that's really what's at question here.

sanwin17 likes this.