1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are bass amps obsolete?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sanwin17, Jan 30, 2019.

1. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I'm about to try running inputs through some compression where required, then the mix through compression, EQ (crossover as an HPF) , and feedback suppression. I'll need to test ordering and noise, though.

Paragon3 and sanwin17 like this.
  2. andykeating

andykeating

Oct 5, 2016
    Manchester
    Obsolete? No. Completely necessary? No.

shoot-r, Dbass35, lpxerodin and 2 others like this.
  3. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    As long as basses are not obsolete, bass amps aren't either in my book.:hyper:

Don Summers, Paragon3 and sanwin17 like this.
  4. dan rathbun

dan rathbun

Dec 17, 2017
    no Cal
    Haa! i've still got the 4001 and the Gauss 18"

sanwin17 likes this.
  5. I see more and more folks playing directly into systems with in ear monitors. Some will still use a small rig on stage to feel the vibrations. Others will use a preamp to have more control of their sound. It could be the end of big stack amps and cabs in large venues. But....there will always be a need for smaller rigs and combos.

6. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I'd be happy to be able to leave the amps at home, or at least be able to go with the 60W combo at ear level as a back up for on stage. Although it's no lighter than a cab, it's just one thing to take. It's not full range, though, and finding something with a coaxial tweeter would be tricky, but other amps are available. In reality if you are relying on house PAs it's a game of aural roulette whether monitors are up to the job and I haven't even used my IEMs in anger let alone persuaded anyone else. If I'm taking my PA and monitors I know I need a bass amp too.

Maybe one day I can leave the amp at home, but it would still require at least a bass, spare bass, effects, spare effects, IEMs, cables, spare cables, spare underwear, toothbrush, inhalers, glasses, other glasses, contact lenses, spare contact lenses, laptop and DMX interface, spare laptop, spare DMX interface, third laptop if using tracks, waterproof keyboard, tablet for remote access to lighting PCs, button controller for lighting laptop, spare power supplies, possibly Proteus, spare Proteus, keyboard, spare keyboard, and a kitchen sink.

7. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    sanwin17 likes this.
  8. lpxerodin

lpxerodin

Oct 22, 2006
    I hadn’t thought about this. I am a purely multi-fx direct to board with IEMs and wireless. We always bring our rig which is why I don’t think twice about it. We get there and they have a good sound system? Great, plug me in and get us going. They don’t? Hold my bass, I gotta go get our sound board and set up. Our guitar play even occasionally multi-fx outs to the board depending on his mood. I’ll go out with my wireless and set the sound. Then guitar player and I switch and he goes out with his wireless and checks it. Wive’s with good ears will do a final check to make sure both our vocals are appropriate over the music that we had set. Then I double check and we’re set for FOH. While I’m out there I set the IEM mixes that the guys want, then set mine and we’re good to go.

My biggest worry at a show is the room temperature.

9. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    With great earbuds, It seems, IMO you can feel the bass. If you get a good seal it vibrates right into your skull and I swear I feeel it through my whole body, even though I know it's just my earbuds. Good earbuds make a huge huge difference. It's not the same, but it can be really good. And, IMO, keeping stage volume down helps anywhere that has enough FOH to carry the whole band.

sanwin17 likes this.
  10. sanwin17

sanwin17 Please mommy, you just gotta buy this amplifier. Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Room temperature? Sound or comfort?

11. sanwin17

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    I've spent $hundreds on buying "good" earbuds from Shure and Westone. Somebody recently raved to me about KZ multi driver earbuds. I checked the website. They're made in China and the most expensive pair $77 but start around $10. Any body try these?

12. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    K
    KZ AS10 I started the long KZ thread. I found the AS10's to be fantastic. My drummer replaced his Shure s with these and he things they are much better. If you can get them to fit with the right tips, I think they are the absolute best value you can buy. These are the IEMs I was talking about in my post. I think the AS10 is better than the ZS10. More sensitive and better balance.

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Could this be the end of people saying it’s the end of something? :)

14. sanwin17

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Is it the end or just the beginning?

chadds likes this.
  15. lpxerodin

lpxerodin

Oct 22, 2006
    Took my a long time to get there, but this is what I use after several years of shure and other well known brands.

Jerry Harvey Audio Home

Very happy with these.

sanwin17 likes this.
  16. sanwin17

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Which model. Expensive!

17. lpxerodin

lpxerodin

Oct 22, 2006
    JH16s

sanwin17 likes this.
  18. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Yep

Rocking the kz6 punches way way above its price class. There is a whole thread on here about them. A lot of guys are preferring the AS10’s and some guys are just getting the kz7s. Typically they are sounding better than westones or shures costing 5x as much.

Definitely worth trying but do get better earpieces. I use the comply ones but some prefer the 3 ridge jobbies and a few have made custom fiited ones with earplug epoxy

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    sanwin17 likes this.
  19. sanwin17

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Do you mean Beyer? Breyer makes ice cream.

20. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Good seal? I'm not sure I could afford all that fish.

Scottkarch, Paragon3 and sanwin17 like this.