1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are flatwounds fragile?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FourtyOneHz, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I like Ernie Ball flats, too.

Interesting... I don't find them to be like Chromes in feel or sound. I find them to sound more like a traditional flat (thumpier) and lower in tension.

Funky how everybody's perception is different. Prob'ly why there are dozens of string sets on the market!

2. FourtyOneHz

FourtyOneHz

Dec 16, 2012
    An update:

I went back to the store (Steve's Music, Toronto) and they wouldn't exchange the string 'once the package had been opened'. That's a funny statement for a set of Rotosounds!

Since they won't deal with it, what is the proper procedure to get it replaced? Should I contact the UK office or the local distributor? Is there a Rotosound rep on talkbass?

3. gard0300

gard0300

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    I believe DR flatwounds mentions the term "twisting" in their installation procedure. So between 90 degree bends and twisting.... It seems flatwounds may be more finicky to install. But I don't think "fragile" would be the term I would use.