1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are there any 5-string hollow-bodies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PostFusion, Aug 2, 2012.

1. PostFusion

PostFusion

Aug 2, 2012
    I've been searching pretty hard for one, as I have a birthday coming up, and after playing a 5-string at Guitar Center, I absolutely need a 5-string bass. However, I also need it to be a hollow body, as I'm sure I won't be having an amp with it, and I'd like to audibly play it until I do get one. Plus, Hollow-Bodies just seem much nicer looking to me.

I've searched the internet, and most are very expensive, minus one by Ktones, which is in the hundred dollar range which seems incredibly risky.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

3. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn, AL
    I know you can get a semi-hollow Quantum.... second mortgage.

4. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    I play a Warwick Star Bass Pro.

It's not technically a totally hollow body bass. The body wings are hollow but the neck runs through to the bridge (I hear that this is like in a gibson 335).

Some sounds here and here.

5. petrus61

6. petrus61

Also there is the Rumblekat:

And Gretch has had some offerings lately too....BUT....you want a 5 string.

7. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Carvin AC50

They are made to order semi-custom instruments made in the USA (San Diego California). They are a neck through design with a chambered mahogany body. You get your choice of finishes, body woods, etc... They have a recent option for no sound holes at all which with a spalted top looks friggin' amazing!

Here's a link to the AC50 page of their site:
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/ac50

8. PostFusion

PostFusion

Aug 2, 2012
    All cool choices, indeed.
    But I need a more affordable price, but it looks like I'm screwed here.
    I would try an acoustic 5 string, however I'm not sure if it can pull off all the jazz rhythms I want it to.

9. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Yes

d5-24.

10. Yes...

[​IMG]

But I had to build it myself. :)

11. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    That warwick star bass is beautiful, makes me want to get a loan.

12. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    If you have even just a laptop with speakers, you can use that as an amp substitute. It will be more audible than an unamplified hollowbody.

13. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    The Warwick Star Bass II and Pro Series Star Bass are not a neck-through design, but rather a set-neck construction with a solid center block. Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can assist in any way. Thanks!

14. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    I picked up a Washburn AB-95 last year for $600. I think it's just what you're looking for. Happy hunting.

15. OP, are you sure you really want a hollow-body bass as opposed to semi-hollow? Full hollow-body guitars and basses aren't used as often as a chambered or semi-hollow because they're more prone to feedback. Many hollow-body designs will be neck heavy due to the body shape and this will be more of a problem on a 5 string because the neck will heavier and on a light body.

16. PostFusion

PostFusion

Aug 2, 2012
    A semi-hollow body will do just fine, though I would prefer a hollow-body. I can take the weight on the neck pretty well and not be too bothered by it, but anything will do.

Those acoustic five strings look really cool, and sorry for sounding "noobish" here, but would they be able to cover, say, and Intronaut song well?
    I was, and still am, considering an acoustic, but I'm still leaning more into the hollow/semi-hollow design.

17. I'd take a look at those carvins. I tried one at the factory over here and it was pretty sweet. I'm not a big fan of piezo, but it played very nice and the quality was top notch.

woodyng2 likes this.
  18. Garrett151

Garrett151

Mar 23, 2011
    Maybe a G&L ASAT?

19. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    Surine makes the semi-semi-hollow Regency. Delicious but may require a second mortgage and/or selling children into slavery, depending on options. (Although in fact his prices are quite reasonable considering what you get...)

http://surinebasses.com/regency.php