Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aria Pro II SB1000CB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jmann, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    I was admiring aria japans website (with the help of bable fish translator) & I saw a model that sparked some curiosity: The SB1000CB. I know that the RI is Re-Issue & the JT is John Taylor, so what is the CB? I started thinking about it & my sister said "hey, didn’t Cliff Burton play one of those?"
    So maybe the CB stands for Cliff Burton. That is the only thing I can think of... anybody know what it is?

www.ariaguitars.com/jp
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr

2. Dunno about this Japan models name "CB"...but this year Aria USA is releasing the exact same bass only with the name SB1000-RI. It has a list price of $2499.99

Anyone who has the 2005 guitar buyers guide can see it there.
    Looks like sweet bass anyhow.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    interesting. Cliff did play the original SB-1000. Specs wise it's close to the JT - Gotoh bridge etc.

I'm curious how much the reissues weigh. I have an '80s SB-1000 which I love, but it's heavy so a bit of a bind to play on a long gig.

4. Cool...I love those old Aria's..i hope to add one to my arsenal one day myself. :hyper:

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, I got lucky. Someone had it sitting in a case in their closet for over 10 years, so it's in mint condition.

very unique sound. I use it mostly in my intermittent joy division covers band, has a mid honky sound which works very well for it.

6. Dang...that is sweet! :cool:

7. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    GAS!!!!!!!!! That's gonna be my new bass! :hyper:

8. For anyone who cares...i dont have a scanner, but i took a photo of the Aria bass in question from Guitar Worlds 2005 buyers guide and posted it.
    It has a bit of info and specs on the USA made Aria's that are being brought back.

9. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    if aria usa offers that bass left handed ill buy the hell out of one...

10. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Sorry to ressurect this thread so late in the game.

If the CB in SB-1000CB stands for Cliff Burton, I would guess it is a reissue of the Aria Pro II "Black 'n Gold".

The Black n Gold line was basically Aria taking all of its SB models and doing them in a solid black lacquer finish with gold hardware. So imagine a solid black SB bass with gold keys, hardware, etc. I am guessing this was more en vogue than natural wood basses at the time and I am sure it was much cheaper for Aria to produce at them time, when Japanese labor costs started getting out of hand and production was moving to Korea. Burton played a Black n Gold SB-1000.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    In the newest issue of Bass Player Mag (with Cliff on the cover), there is more info on it.

BTW, I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

12. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Has that issue shipped yet?!

13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Arrived in my mailbox (in Eastern Kentucky) today. Very nice breakdown/transcription of "Anesthsia" by Ed Friedland, with wonderful notes on Cliffs usage of distortion and wah in the solo.

14. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Yes the CB does stand for Cliff Burton. I played a neck thru Aria for about 12 years and loved it. I might get one of the John Taylor reissues if I get a chance to play one. BTW B'asses High that is one awesome Heavy Metal avatar!

15. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Where in the good ole US of A can you get a JT reissue? SB's are only in Japan I thought. In Japan they actually have the JT2 model also which is a 2 pickup model, essentially a reissue of the SB-900 or SB-800. I would do almost anything to get one of those.

16. Hah thanks. I love that movie.

As for the thread i see i see the pics i posted are no longer there...too bad..
    Looks like a hell of a nice bass though.

17. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I've got a connection in Japan that I could get one through. If I knew that it was identical to the old SB1000 like he used to play I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

18. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Now that I think of it, I have a friend that just moved from Osaka and he will be going back to visit occaisionally. Any idea where I can send him to get one for me and how much they cost.

19. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I would try the Aria website and also find out what the exchange rate is. sometimes instruments that are built in Japan are cheaper to buy exported than in Japan itself.