Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

arm injuries

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Oct 6, 2003.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Hello, i haven't been on talkbass for a long time(5 o 6 month) since i got something like tendonitis in my both arms(it's an injury in the cubital muscle and tendon that i got by carring heavy amplifiers). I have visited ,in a first instance, 2 traumatologyst and a kinesiologyst. nowadays i've tried acupuncture, wich gave some really good results.... but i still feel some pain. the last thing i've tried is a weed called palqui that is very poisonous, obviously i don't have to drink it, i have to weed + hot water + arm in it. (easy way to explain it with my english). almost no results from this....

Ok, what's the worst thing of all of this ?..... well this is my first year that i'm studying music(i'm 18), and since i'm supposed to play lot's of piano and bass, my arms don't let me, and it's very hard for me to survive. I have taken some singing lessons so i can study that way. but every day is getting harder to me. I have studied lots of theory... and i really want to apply my new knowle-----(english sucks sometimes..). 'till now i have got very good grades. but i don't know how much time i'll be able to handle this way.

so if you have got something to say, ideas, opinions, please share them. that's all. thanks

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Fractal - I really feel for you, dude. I've been out of the saddle for several months now due to a broken elbow and I'm still not back up to 100%. I can still play bass and was only out of it for a few weeks, but I haven't been able to do what keeps me sane and balanced - road cycling and mountain biking - my general social circle revolves around these activities, so I've felt a bit isolated from my buddies.

I really lost it earlier this summer, but I have accepted the fact that it'll be a long time before I ride again. That, and it'll take several months for me to make a full recovery - I can pick up a full bag of cement but I have trouble pushing a door open....go figure. Fortunately, the pain was short lived, but I still deal with inflammation and limited joint movement. The bottom line is that I put on a bit of weight and feel completely out of shape, but my mental outlook is better than it was earlier in the summer as I had an imminent house purchase to deal with as well as a pregnant wife to take care of.

I don't know what to suggest - but work at keeping yourself diverted doing things that keep you balanced....

DD

3. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    thanks for the reply, hope you get well soon too...:)

It can always be worst.... lucky me that i'm just complaining about a pain in my arms, and not about a sea monster that likes to feed his family with bass players only......:D

this is one of the things that keep me alive.:)

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I don't know what would hurt more, my arms or not being able to play?

That's horrible! And your 18! Maybe you'll heal quickly and be back to jamming!

My condolences! :(

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    The best way to handle any inflamation is this:
    1) Rest, plain and simple. No injury will heal quickly unless you stop what aggravates it.

2) Anti-inflamatories- Motrin works well.

3) When your pain is gone, SLOWLY work back into your activity before the injury.

Mike

6. I'm just recovering from a broken right humerus. Should get the slab off tommorrow. My right arm has been completely useless for 6 weeks, in a sling with the elbow at 90 degrees. I'm probably going to need a lot of physio to get the arm working right. The good news is that it was broken mid-shaft so there won't be any long term joint issues because of it.
    Sorry to hear about your tendonitis. Do what the doc says!

7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Ahh, you'll be fine in a month or two....you're lucky your joint wasn't impacted. Good luck with the physio. I did acupuncture and massage on top of physio with my injury (plus ice then heat and specific exercises three times a day). Acupuncture wasn't my bag but the massage, especially for the tissue around the injury, really help me gain flexibility at the elbow. Six months and counting and I'm only about 75% back to normal, but it's the joint that's holding me back. The primary health care that I have rec'd for this injury has been less than stellar - perhaps the recent change in government will turn things around....

DD

8. I spent 3 days in Ottawa General with this and I can concur your assessment of primary care.... They didn't do me wrong as such but they were very very slow. Incidentally, I did this on my Mtn bike, at Camp Fortune..... I was lucky to get away with the injuries I got, based on the crash I had.....;)
    Hopefully, you'll get everything straightened out before next riding season...

9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Man, you must have whacked yourself pretty hard - downhilling, I would imagine :rolleyes: ....

I went to the Civic (was actually able to ride my bike over to the ER after the crash) and waited about 4 hours to been seen. Aside from that, the diagnosis itself and post-diagnosis care was pathetic. I think they actually caused more injury when they aspirated the elbow in the ER - and talk about pain - I almost puked and passed out. Then I was left standing around waiting and wondering "What Next?" - good thing I was still in mild shock or I would have been pissed. The surgeon finally came around and asked what I was still doing here? I hadn't been given any direction as to care of injury, whether I needed a sling (I didn't get a cast for this one), what movements I should avoid, medication, what I should do to follow up, etc. then they called me a few days later and said that they may need to operate (after consultation with other surgeons). I chose to go the non-operation route and I'm glad I did. Don't even get me started on the followup visits - I've spent well into the double digits in hours waited for about 15 minutes of total direct consult time with the doc. I have to say tho, that the radiology departments have been really good.

What run were you on when you bailed?

DD

10. I waited in emerge for 4hrs to be seen, in an outrageous amount of pain and in fairly serious shock (I snapped the bone right off). Then they sent me to radiology where the on duty tech decided he needed to move my arm around to get a good shot, and proceeded to do so without consulting me. Ouch. Then they gave me a slew of morphine and everything was groovy. for a while.. They admitted me and the resident told me I'd need surgery... It took until after supper the next day before the surgeon got around to me... They decided not to do surgery after all. They were pretty slow about everything and they didn't tell me much about what I should and shouldn't do etc... I'm back in St. John's now and the waits are even longer. Another 3 weeks in a brace...
    I read your post on mtbkanata (assuming you're the same dirtdog ;)), it's pretty crappy you missed the whole season...
    I crashed on the hip jump at the bottom of National by the Skyline Lodge. Yup, downhilling...:meh: Full-on body armour next year!

11. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Oh man! that's brutal - you must have had the same xray tech as I did: "..but my arm doesn't bend that way anymore....owwwww!" At one point, I was bent over backwards with my arm up and behind my head. Then grumpy ER doc takes a 4" needle and sucks a bunch of blood and fluid out of my arm (three times in total) and then attempts to PUSH the fractured bone back into place. That's where I almost puked....

One followup visit the surg. told me not be "such a pussy" and get my arm out of the sling and start using it. That was at about day 10 after they messed up the paperwork with the physio and left me hanging as to after injury care. I showed up at the clinic at 0800 and waited until 1030 before the doc saw me.

Well, I hope your recover goes well - as I said, you're lucky is wasn't compounded by being close to the joint. You should be up and running before the snow fall (well, maybe not in St. John's)

And yeah - I'm DD over at mtbkanata...:p

DD

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    You were BIKING down National?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

And I agree about the slipping health care - I waited 5 hours in and around the ER at the Ottawa General when I sprained my ankle last year.

13. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Oh yeah, thrash - you've gotta see it - it's mental. The bikes themselves are like small motocross bikes without the engines.

Personally, I prefer the flatland freeriding and technical XC - whenever I get airborne with too much speed I tend to hurt myself - the the true DH'ers are something else to watch.

That said, I have taken my freeride and XC bikes bike to Bromont and done some pretty crazy stuff and walked away from it.

Let's hope Premier Dalton can make some serious changes to the health care system.

DD

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Listen to Dr. Moike! He knows!

Of course this advice goes against every single human instinct. I can't tell you how many injuries I've agrevated but jumping back in the saddle too soon. Even when you're telling yourself you'll take it easy for a while, the red mist sits in and you go hard just for a second and...OUCHHHHH, you're back to square 1.

Does your school have any proceedures in place for people will illness, disabilities, or misadventure which may affect their studies?

15. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I just remember skiing down National and almost wiping out a few times when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure if I tried to ride a bike down that hill, I'd lose at least one limb.

I've never really done anything crazy with my bike other than a 300-km trip when I was 12... I don't ride it enough now, but living downtown makes it kinda tough.

Sorry to hear the arm is still not 100% better...

16. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    i guess not... the thing is that with my bass teacher we study lots of theory(now we are using the bass a bit), the same thing with my piano teacher is different cause i didn't had classes till 2 months ago, now i had to take the piano lessons again, if not me-out.... and with the other classes lot's of thoery... almost no hands. anyway i'm going to have a piano exam this tuesday..... it's not that difficult... i have everythng ready... i don't study everything on the piano(i try to not use it, so i take care of my hands).

I went to visit another traumatologyst.... he said that i had a cronical thing, but i can be cured. He also said that i was really fine, so he guess that i will soon be recovered... i have to use now a thing for my wrist... don't know how to call it in english.