Arpeggio - broken chords - inversions

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Jul 21, 2021 at 10:40 PM.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Other than knowing where the root is, where practicing on DB, does it matter how the playing is approached? In other words, it is all arpeggio practice?

The reason I am asking is that I've seen variations on arpeggios from the basic 1 3 5 8 approach including neighbouring notes, for example, so just wondering if essentially this is, as I believe, simply a variation on the theme?

Regards to all

2. Rama Temmink

Rama Temmink

Nov 30, 2015
    Read anything by Mozart.

The above mentioned composer most definitely studied up his scales and arpeggios.

Paganini is fun to read too by the way.

3. Rama Temmink

Rama Temmink

Nov 30, 2015
    Here is a popular musical phrase:

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
    Mi Sol Do Mi Re Fa~ Ti Do

Mozart his Alla turca (Turkish March)
    Mi Sol Do Mi Re Fa Ti Re Do

Now, if I recall correctly, and please do correct me, about the harmony, Mariah Carey used a 1-6-2-5 chord progression on the "Merry Christmas" album.

Mozart jotted down a 1-6-4-5 root movement for the fa-clef.

Mozart..., Mariah Carey..., both epic in my book.

4. As I see it you can target different ways to practice arpeggios and/or treat each new piece of repertoire as the music driving your need for better technique. Any fragment of music that has three successive notes each separated by more than a whole tone is an arpeggio? Arpeggios and scales will always be the drivers for better basic techniques IMO, eg speed and clarity of articulation for shifting and clarity of articulation. To simulate "real life" situations and avoid boredom how about not starting on tonic notes of your major, minor, dominant and diminished arpeggios but any note.

Andy Mopley likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021