1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Arpeggio Practice Question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by greekbassist, Mar 28, 2006.

1. greekbassist

greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Hi All,

I am just curious..

When practicing arpeggios on the fretboard is best to say out loud the interval spellings (R, 3, 5, b7) or say out loud the notes of the chord (D, F#, A, C) while playing patterns.

I guess I am wondering how you all see the fretboard by interval spellings or chord spellings...

Thanks Greekbassist

2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I've always tended to think in intervals rather than specific notes, but it's always good for the bigger picture of the piece itself to be aware of what actual notes you're playing.. eg you might want to accentuate a pedal note during a line by throwing it in even when it's not in the arpeggio of all the chords in the progression

but I wouldn't bother saying anything out loud unless it's singing the pitches of the notes to yourself...

familiarisation with arpeggios (and other musical material) will come through understanding what the intervals sound like and look like under your fingers... and they'll eventually seep into muscle memory, where you don't really have to think about them, let alone say the intervals or notes out loud while you're playing them

3. greekbassist

greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006

Should I sing intervals while learning the arpeggios then?

Thank for the reply! Greekbassist

4. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    It is a good idea to sing the intervals as you play them. Good ear training!

Also maybe alternate saying actual note names with interval name. Great idea! GB, yer a genius! :slap on back:

When practicing arpeggios you may wish to consider playing up to the 9th and back down.