Asdown Little Bastard 30 EQ question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twinfallsbass, Dec 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hi. I have read almost every thread on this subject and there is still no clear cut answer; some TB members say it's a Fender 0-10-0, others say no. I have read the article Tombowlus posted on Bass Gear and they said " Optimal Flat " was Mid-9:00, Bass- 10:30 to 11:00 and Treb- 9:30 to 10:00. When matching those settings, I get no balls at all from the amp unless I dime the volume knob; and since there is NO gain knob, that does not work for me. I then read from member RoadRanger about the " Fender 0-10-0 " where Mid is Cut only and Bass/Treble were add to taste. When using that mindset, Cutting Mid, adding Bass/Treb, this is what I ended up at : Mid- 3:00, Bass- 12:30 to 1:00 and Treb- 10:00. I now have plenty of volume and it sounds killer! Has anyone emailed Ashdown to ask them what flat is? What settings are other members using?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I actually have the schematic and was able to simulate the circuit in software. Glad it worked out for you - love my CTM-30 :) . As far as "flat" goes, the Fender style tone circuit doesn't do truly flat no matter where you set the controls - probably the main reason that Ampeg dominated the bass amp market over the weirdarse EQ on the Bassman. I have no idea why Ashdown thought it was a good idea to copy a failed design - maybe they expected most of these to end up as guitar amps like the Bassmans? But as you've see you can get a great tone out of them if you get out of the "flat at noon" mindset :cool:.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    FWIW, here's an actual measurement of an Alembic F2B I used to own:

[​IMG]

That's less than -1dB at 50Hz and 5KHz. Looks just like that in my LTspice model as well...

5. brokencode

brokencode

Aug 28, 2009
    Allen, TX
    With this setting... what position are your switches?

6. Mine are ALL in the up position. Although many here have stated that a run of amps were built with the switches installed incorrectly. On my amp, the Mid switch sounds meatier in the up position, the Bass switch causes a huge Mid scoop in the down position and sounds way better in the Up position, the Treb gets supper bright in the down position.

FronTowardEnemy and brokencode like this.
  7. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yes, "all up" is where it's at :cool:.

Spyrosaab and hollowman like this.
  8. Spyrosaab

Spyrosaab Swimming in the deep end.

Aug 27, 2011
    Australia
    That's what she said ;):hyper:

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I LOVE my LB30.

But she's a wonky amp. You just have to play with it and coax your sound out of it.

Spyrosaab likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021