Ashdown ABM evo iii 500 with ABM 410h cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TBird_MD, Jun 7, 2017.

1. TBird_MD

TBird_MD

Mar 12, 2017
    South Wales, UK
    Hello guys,

I have recently purchased an ABM evo iii 500 and an ABM 410h cabinet, but I'm struggling to find a setting which I'm happy with. That being said, I don't really know how I should be setting the amp in the first place to be honest! I'm used to an Orange Bass Terror 500 which was so easy to use.

If somebody could help out and send me a pic of the setting they're using, preferably with a P Bass, I'd be most grateful!

The sound I'm after is just a warm sound where I'm able to cut across nicely and not blend into the mix, if that makes sense?

Thanks in advance.

M

2. You will be able to get almost any sound you want with that head but make sure that the pre shape button is pressed in which strangely turns it off. I think that is counter intuitive as you would think that pushing it in would engage the mid cutting pre shape. Start with all controls at noon with the sub and compressor (I think it has one ) switched off. Don't be afraid to use relatively extreme settings on the EQ controls; use your ears not your eyes and you will get there. The ABM can sound as round or as gnarly as you like.

javi_bassist likes this.
  3. TBird_MD

TBird_MD

Mar 12, 2017
    South Wales, UK
    The shape button has been confusing me actually so thanks for helping me with that!

Great advice, I'll have a play around with it on the weekend.

M

4. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    A little late to the party, I know.
    If you go to the Ashdown website, and then the EVO page at the bottom has a user manual download. Scroll through and it shows diagrams for setting suggestions. Worth a look!

5. Herbit

Herbit

Oct 10, 2019
    I don't want to start a new thread, so maybe someone can help me solve my problem here.

I bought Ashdown ABM evo iii 500 with ABM 410h cab two weeks ago. I play bass occasionally in a ameteur band. I wonder why this combo and cab plays so quiet? My drummer, who plays quite strongly, dominates my bass sound. Is it a matter of setting the equalizer correctly?

Dasgre0g likes this.
  6. Dasgre0g

Dasgre0g DasGre0g Supporting Member

Is it the 8 ohm ABM can or 4 ohm? Also, what is your input set at? Remember, input is basically preamp gain. You can absolutely crank that, roll in the tube preamp even higher, then... adjust the output volume. You're still not getting a significant volume there might be something else going on.
    Also, the EQ on those amps is extremely sensitive.

Just don't be afraid to really push the input gain hard. Like a previous posters that, there are lots of EQ diagrams available online from a couple of the old manuals. I think they were also different EQ settings from various artists in the forums if you dig around.

7. Herbit

Herbit

Oct 10, 2019
    Thanks for your reply. I have 4 Ohm combo and 8 Ohm cabinet.

I tried different combinations with the equalizer. Reducing the bass and raising the mid and high tones helps a little. The sound is still very muddy. I must also mention that the room in which I play is quite narrow. I have already started looking at some bass eq pedals to solve my problem.

I'm a little afraid to crank the input too much. One of my friends burned his bass amplifier by spinning the input too much.