1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ashdown ABM evo500 with 2x12 little bastard cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shednz, Oct 12, 2013.

1. shednz

shednz

May 27, 2013
    Hi all am a guitarist now also playing bass in a blues band (old school little walter, bb king, muddy, sonny boy williamson etc).

I have seen some reasonable prices on ashdown gear over here in NZ and am thinking about matching an ABM 500 evoIII with a 2 x12 lil bastard cab. Really I am a complete newbie when it comes to bass gear so am encouraging your thoughts. I know the lil bastard cabs are designed to go with the little bastard head but at only 30 watts and mucho more $$ than the ABM I'm thinking that tube head won't have enough volume.

Cheers for your thoughts!

2. What have you got for PA?

For reference, I had a 50w Jansen Bassman, not enough clean power to keep up, full noise PA, maybe with a better monitor set for the rest of the band it could possibly have worked out.

500w head into LB cab, not a good recipe from getgo, but you could make it work in a full on PA situation.

3. shednz

shednz

May 27, 2013
    hey - thanks downunderwonder. Yeah i was wondering about a 500 watt amp with the lil bastard 2 x 12 cab. the cab is rated at 300w - I thought the general rule was amp should have more watts than the cabinet? Anyone else help me out here? Thanks

4. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Not too familiar with the lil bastard, but really the rating isn't that important as one may think. If it's 300 at 8 ohms, you're just fine. Even if it's not, you're not really cranking the entire 500 watts from the evo. The EVO is an excellent head, btw.

5. shednz

shednz

May 27, 2013
    Thanks Drnknmstr...I believe it is a 4 ohm cabinet at 300 watts so yeah, the head would have full grunt available but it wouldn't typically be operating at any serious kind of volume - small to medium gigs playing old school blues plus a little funky stuff. Any one else - anyone used this cabinet?

6. pizzazombie

pizzazombie

Dec 19, 2012
    Switzerland
    This is wrong. You can only overpower a cab, underpowering it is not possible.

7. I play in a band doing very similar material to what you describe and use an ABM 500 head into a Barefaced 2 12 (can handle up to 1200 w), rarely have the volume above 1/3rd max.

I agree with poster above, cab should be capable of handling more power than the amp can deliver. I reckon that a 300 watt cab is not going to last too long with an amp able to pump out nearly double that.

8. shednz

shednz

May 27, 2013
    cheers folks - have now found the enormous threads on overpowering/underpowing cab and amp combinations - some debate going on there! I'll [lay it safe I think and look for some higher handling cab. Hillbilly Dave how do you find the Abm500 for providing the old school tones?

9. With the valve (tube) pre amp on about 75% and the EQ neutral it sounds very much like the old Fender bassman I used in a studio this summer - warm mellow tone that still cuts through the mix.

10. you mean something like this?

Attached Files:

11. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Do you have a link to the info on the 212 Bastard cab?

I believe the LB212 was a 8 ohm cab at 200w. You won't see many non-boutique 212s wired for 4 ohm, especially with such a low rating.

12. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    LB212 is a 4 ohm cab (I own one). Originally designed for use with the LB head so wattage ratings were unimportant really. There are only 20 of these cabs in existance - they are all prototypes in essence.

Don't bother looking at the Ahdown specs of the cab as everything other than it's physical dimensions is rubbish, the quoted weight of 14kg for example. If you can find one that weight I'll eat my hat... and yours. Most cabs have a 100 watt rating on the back, but the drivers can actually handle 300w or 400w (depending on which cab you have - some have celestion drivers, others have eminence).

Use it with the EVO. If it sounds like it's struggling it's probably an idea to turn down!

The thinking behind overpowering a cab is so your amp doesn't run out of juice. Nothing will kill a cab quicker than a square wave signal from a power amp that's being pushed too hard. Underpowering a cab is more likely to kill it than overpowering it. After all 500 watts on tap doesn't mean you have to use them all...

13. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I think you may be confusing the LB212 with the VS212 which matches the specs you quote...

14. Man that squarewave myth takes some killing. Die, dammmit!

Squarewaves kill tweeters, not woofers. Woofers eat squarewaves for breakfast, lunch and tea. Too POWERFUL a squarewave will kill a woofer from OVERPOWERING.

15. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Agreed. I wouldn't touch a 300w rated 212 at 4 ohm with a 10 foot pole with most modern amps. Certainly it's not future proof and what's the point of having the full rating of the Evo500 if you've got to cool your jets to avoid popping your cab.

It's the kind of thing that would be wonderful for a small tuber or to pick up if you wanted to get all the juice out of an old style Peavey or Hartke low rated head but it's totally the wrong cab for that head. Better off with a MAG210.

16. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Oh dear...

17. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I stand corrected.

I still maintain that the cab will work just fine with an ABM head - mine can take a good kicking from my ABM AND my Orange Terror (which is a MUCH louder amp). Just use your ears. If it sounds like it's struggling, it is.

18. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    All I'm suggesting is that if that little 212 is really rated 300w at 4 ohm it would be great for one of the old style heads (HA1400 which is 140w at 4) for instance. Or the full 30w of the LB..
    If you've got a problem with that I'd prefer you qualify yourself rather than being flippant.

19. shednz

shednz

May 27, 2013
    oh well i think i'll play it safe and get something a bit gruntier. found a sale on the 1x15 Ashdown U.S speaker cabinet - its 500w and cheaper. Maybe that's a better option?

20. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I don't disagree with most of what you said, but a MAG210. Seriously...