ashdown -> china

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MattyN, Apr 25, 2004.

1. MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    hey y'all,

girl at my local music store tells me ashdown bass amps are now being made (assembled?) in china.

is this true?

if so, are the new production runs worse?

i'm trying decide between last years MAG 250 head or this years rackmount style MAG 300. they're both $299.

2. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm told the MAG amps are, but not the ABM or EVO ones.
  3. MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    for anyone who's got more insight into this matter.

i guess the mag 300s haven't quite hit the streets yet...
  4. The Mags are made in China, right next to the Behringer :D
  5. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    If the factory is running ok and they use same components, it shouldn't make any difference where it was made. I'm sure that the folks at Ashdown know how to make amps.
  6. The little Ashdown 30watt practise amps have always been made in China.
  7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Ashdown isn't the only company making lower priced stuff in China.
    My Peavey Microbass amp is made in China. The control knobs feel a bit flimsy(something I've heard about with a lot of Chinese built amps)but everything works fine, and it has been reliable so far-two years later.

In fact, I may be wrong but I believe most small practice amps are made in China, or Indonesia now.
  8. zoran

May 10, 2002
    If not all, most of small parts in amps are made in China, so why assebling it so far and make good ABMs :D
  9. [In fact, I may be wrong but I believe most small practice amps are made in China, or Indonesia now.[/QUOTE]

No you're not wrong. I was looking to buy a small amp from my local dealer, and I always look at the back panel to see where it is made ( I'm sad like that - always try to buy British or European or American ) and the four or five I looked at were all made in China.

All low priced stuff nowadays is. That's how come it's low priced. It's made in sweatshops by child labour.
  10. There is nothing wrong with buying stuff made in China (unless you don't believe in slavery or oppression).
  11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

what ?? are you saying QSC amps made in China are assembed using slave labor or child labor ?? total bulls**t !!
    i seriously doubt QSC or Ashdown are being built by slave labor !!
    maybe you should check into facts before you say something like that...

the people that do the assembly are high paid { at least by their standards } and not slaves . yes , i would rather buy a product ' Made in America ' , but i also think each company has a right to move the plant if they want or need to ... jmo.
  12. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    1.5 billion people. All slaves. All oppressed.

1 percent of the Chinese population is considered extremely wealthy by western standards. That's 150 million people.

You forgot to mention that they're all 8 year old slaves.
  13. DaveDeVille

oppressed , absolutely true ...
    8 year old slaves ? i doubt it . are you being sarcastic ?

do you think someone like Bob Lee { QSC } , or anyone at Ashdown would have their products built by slaves ?? think about the repercussions if it were proved they used slave labor ...

also , i don't think people who are slaves earn a paid wage . of course ,
    what do i know about slavery ? i'm from the U.S.A. :rolleyes:
  14. If it bothers you to buy something made in China then you are probably going to have to go naked cause just about all the clothes sold in the US and Europe are made in China. Companies are going to have stuff built where they can make the most profit, like it or not. If a company can't compete they are out of business like it or not. Right now the cheap labor is in China, 5 yrs from now it'll be someplace else and you'll see a big industrial migration there. 5 yrs ago my son moved to NC to work in the furnature industry cause it was a right to work state and there were plenty of jobs. Now most of those jobs have moved to China and NC has a big unemployment problem. 5 to 10 yrs from now there will be a big shift away from China and they will be worse off then they were before the jobs came there. jmho....................
  15. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    The standard cost of living in China is also significantly lower than in the US/Euro/etc, so it costs far less to live a decent lifestyle as opposed to the US. Every country has it's obscenely wealthy, but if 99% of China's population was slave labor (as you imply), the country would fall apart at the roots (Communism doesn't count as falling apart at the roots). China is no utopic society, but the next time you want to think about real impoverishment, keep in mind North Korea (or any of the opressive UAE states IMO).

16. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

I am not implying that 99 percent of the population lives in slavery. I do business in China. Have been for 15 years. On a one to one basis, they are very aggressive about doing business. They are modernizing their industries at an alarming rate. There is a lot of money in China these days. China and India are the growth areas of the world.

Having lived in the Persian Gulf, the UAE is not particularly oppressive. Saudi is. Yemen is...well..different. I'm heading to Dubai on Saturday and then off to Oman to kick back with friends (yep Arabs) on the weekend.

Everywhere you go, there are good people and their are less than good people. Regrettably and disappointingly, this forum has a fair share of xenophobia and stereotyping. Time to switch off the TV's folks, and see the world. Despite all the crap going on, it's a pretty neat planet.
  17. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD

Definitely true, TV is no way to gain perspective on the world. I've traveled a fair bit (thanks to music actually!) and it's always inspiring surrendering to other cultures, traditions.
  18. DaveDeVille

United Arab Emerates ?{sp}
    if you really have lived in the Persian gulf area , { Saudi Arabia , or Yemen } , surely you know slavery is STILL practiced today . we have people everday come to America to escape such living conditions ... i don't mean to rant here , but i do know slavery is very much alive today , in much of the Arab world
    { also in African nations as well as many asian countries } .

i just don't think it's something we as free people should take lightly... again , jmo ...
    sorry to have hijacked this post with my political ramblings... :oops: