Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown help, footswitch explanation needed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimD, Dec 17, 2005.

1. JimD

JimD

Jun 21, 2002
    Just received a 2 button footswitch for my ABM500. I didn't have a chance to try this before practice, and it wasn't what I expected. I wanted to use the valve drive and maybe sub harmonics. Neither switch is labeled on the pedal, it was a bit confusing.The rear panel has jacks for sub/valve and eq/shape. Should I have ordered another pedal for eq/shape? Is it practical to just reach over and use these manually? I don't think I use these presently, but you never know when you might. How are Ashdown users using the footswitches? Also, anyone care to share the settings they use. I just try and get a low punchy tone through a Berg Ht112. I could get a different cab and get lower, but this is easy on the old back. Thanks

2. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Yeah! The double footswitch confused me at first, too. You would have to order another double footswitch if you want to remotely engage both "sub/valve" and "eq/shape." I've decided not to get another footswitch. I'll use mine to engage the "sub/valve" side, because I'll use the sub-harmonic feature on a few tunes. I almost always leave the valve-drive on for most of our stuff, as I want the over-driven tones you can get out of the Evo-II. However, there are some jazzy-blues numbers we do where a cleaner tone, IMO, is called for.

I use a Berg NV215 (and I have an NV425 on order...). Since I generally have the EQ's set the way I like... I like a fat bottom, and I'll push the mids, in order to cut through, according to the mix... and that suggestion generally comes from our soundman, and we all hold his opinion with high regard... so I will set the Output knob at around 7 or 8 o'clock, and then I'll crank the Input knob to about 2 o'clock. I'll then use the preamp controls on my bass to "fine-tune" anything else... Hope this made sense to you...

I am very satisfied with my Evo-II. I have the chrome-faced rack-mounted unit. I'm still fooling around with the EQ's... always experimenting in search for that near-perfect tone. IMO, this is part of the fun owning this amp. :D

3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ive only just got my ABM 300 but im not to impressed with it yet.
    I dont think the mute button is working as it should as it cuts the sound down but not off. ive taken it back for repair as Ashdown states it should be silent and mines not.
    The other thing i dont like is the fact that when the buttons are used the sound cuts off as its switched over, sort of making the pedals pointless (i dont think the sub does this though).
    Also it seems quieter than my MAG even though the ABM is rated slightly higher.
    Im sure ill get used to it its just at the moment im running the ABM in to my MAG 307 C-115 just as a speaker cab and at gigs ive played before im finding im having to turn the amp up higher and getting unwanted distortion.
    Love the tone though.
    Looking to get a better cab now.

Dave.

4. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Sorry to hear you're having some trouble with your ABM300. Mine is the ABM500-RC, and I, as I had stated, am thus far completely satisfied with it.

I feel I need to share this with you: I've discussed this in previous threads, so if you did a search under the ABM500 Evo-II, you'll probably find it. I had a problem with what turned out to be a "weakened" transformer, and mine was (and still is) under warranty. As it is , there are no Ashdown dealers here in Hawaii, so I went online and contacted Ashdown directly there where you're at... Jolly Old England. I must tell you... Mr. Martin Burrows took my problem under his wing, and he was nothing but a complete professional. The man sent me a replacement transformer... it took an awfully long time to get here... nearly three months!... but that wasn't his fault. Transformers were swapped out, and I'm kicking butt and taking names with my ABM...

Good luck to you, and I sincerly hope you get your problems worked out... ;)

5. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thaks for that reply.
    I think i had seen your post before and that had made me paranoid.
    My amp is back in the shop for repair but i have spoken to the engineer already and he has said that another ABM 300 they have is exactly the same as far as the mute button goes. its padding it rather than muting.
    He has spoke to Ashdown and they have said that its working as it should (but they advertise it being silent) but the engineer thinks he can modify it once he gets the circuit diagrams but it will take time.
    To be honest if they are all like this then ill live with it.
    I have also asked him to check the output with the other head and wait to hear from him but whan i was in the shop they sounded the same.
    Im now thinking that the head is fine (i love the tone) and realised at a gig last night that i was having to turn the ABM up higher than i did last time with the MAG but i always have the bass boost on the MAG switched in and the ABM doesnt have this unless you switch the pre-shape on so that could be why the ABM sounds quieter to me. its lacking the 8db boost at 50Hz. i might try the next gig with the pre-shape on and bring the mid up.

Dave.