Ashdown John Myung Double Drive Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smittybass33, Oct 22, 2021.

1. gzarruk, BrentSimons and Correlli like this.
  2. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    If it is based on the Pearce BC-1 that he used to use then I'd be super interested.

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    HX Stomp has the Pearce BC-1 channel 1, 2 and jumped modeled close to perfection with Billy Sheehan. If it interests you. :)

4. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    I had a Pearce BC-1. It was nice to be able to play around with and set my own EQ, level of overdrive, etc. I foolishly sold/traded it to a studio for time. I don't know if the digital thing would be the same.

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    Understandable. Billy sheehan ditched his (for touring) and carrys his Helix with him. Just sharing in case you want to try it out sometime at a store or something.

HolmeBass, BrentSimons and deff like this.
  6. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    At this point, they have to be pretty rare, despite being built like tanks. Thank you for the heads up. A lot of the EBS stuff seems like they have the idea, but the samples I've heard seem to be lacking what I liked about mine. Back in the day, it was truly like the hand of an angry god came down to smite all those in it's path.

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    Wellington, NZ
    John was using the Suncoast B1p and B501 preamps, which are the Pearce clones. I see in the description that the JM signature pedal produces Harmonic Distortion. If it’s like a Pearce/Suncoast sound, I’d be keen to get it.

deff, smittybass33 and BrentSimons like this.
  8. I was instantly interested and considering his use of the Pearce and other choice pedals/pres I was definitely tempted to pre order. The price on it is kind of crazy, 410... For that price there are much more feature rich options that could beat it. It'd have to be the distortion for that price.

With that said I'm still interested and want to hear some demos.

crapusername and gzarruk like this.
  9. gzarruk

gzarruk

Aug 31, 2009
    Looking forward to hear some demos. I don't need this pedal at all, specially at that price range, but I still want one lol. Thankfully it's not something I'll be ordering anytime soon (if ever...).

10. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Holy crap.

Yeah, I’m gonna need to hear a shootout between this, a Suncoast pedal, and an OG rackmount unit before I would even consider wanting one at that price.

11. dax21

dax21

Nov 26, 2011
    Serbia
    I just can't get over how terrible that layout is. Knobs so close to the left footswitch because... dual VU meters?

12. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Ashdown is taking preorders but no demos yet!!!!

mixedmeter likes this.
  13. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    smittybass33 likes this.
  14. velalv

velalv

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    Looks like we now have a demo video. Thoughts?

15. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    Meh, pretty uninspiring. Plus the reviewer seems to be determined to not really show it off very well.

BrentSimons and crapusername like this.
  16. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Does nothing for me I’m afraid.

BrentSimons and SteveFromBerlin like this.
  17. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    Wellington, NZ
    Harsh and buzzy sounding overdrive in that demo, imo. Rather hear it through a amp and mic’d cab. Probably would sound better.

18. I really liked how it sounded.... But for the price I would need it to be capable of alot more then it is.

I'm from the UK, Ashdown have never been a boutique or prestige brand here (can't speak for elsewhere) , and I'm not knocking them for it. They have fantastic customer service and I've owned and enjoyed a few of their amps. Whilst I would hazard to say "cheap and cheerful", they are the sort of thing you would expect to play through at the Lamb & Flag on a Thursday night as the house backline. Solid, hard-working, no frills.

They've done a few ranges of pedals and I feel have largely kept their pricing in line with what I would expect from them.... But for some reason this and the Geezer sig just seem way overpriced. I felt the same when they released the Stuart Zender Funk Face. If it was £150 I might be tempted (but I am a fan of big pedals).

crapusername likes this.
  19. velalv

velalv

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    I'm weighing this against my Grizzly Bass. As some of you know, the Grizzly Bass gets a lot of love around here for good reason. It does not do raunchy, high gain overdrive, but it takes the 18v musicman bongo's output like a champ...and that has not been the case with a bunch of other pedals I have tried it with.

DosiYanarchy and BrentSimons like this.
  20. The Grizzly is hands down great: clean boost, overdrive and distortion, had one for a while, couldnt fault it.

BrentSimons likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022