Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown MAG reliabilty issues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tekhna, Nov 14, 2004.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I have heard some very negative things regarding these amps, any experience here?

2. Mine is fine. It doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    had 2 (upgraded to what is linked in my sig and needed the money more than the combos), never hiccuped once. I'd buy another in a heartbeat if the need should come about again.

4. I've had an evo500 for about 2 years now , lots of rehearsing , lots of gigs , no problems so far :)

5. Hey,
    I was looking at getting the Mag 4x10 deep cabimey and the MAG 300T head.
    However by the big guy down at the bass store near here, he said i should stay very clear of these. But i like dthe feel of the one i had a go with. What dya'll reckon of this stuff, do
    Rob

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I've had my MAG for 8 months now, and no problem at all.
    BTW, it's a Chinese one.

Cheers,
    JL

7. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

I have heard from people I trust a lot that they just give out, and if you look at the reviews over at harmony central, there are some really low ratings over there.

8. I used a Mag300 head for about a year and it was great.

I have ordered a new Ashdown head as well you just need to look at the artists using them ( ABM series ) as an indication of the road use pedigree etc.

For now and again go Mag for hard working regular maybe go for the ABM stuff, loads on Ebay at the mo.

Martin

9. I had a MAG 250 combo for about 8 months.

During that time I was playing in a heavy rock band with two Marshall half stack equipped guitarists and an animal of a drummer - in other words LOUD - and never had any problems.

10. Yeh, i've noticed a few mixed reviews really. The guy told me that it just wouldn't be loud enough...
    I would like to get it as i like the Ashdown sound, but my financial issues at the moment just won't allow me to go ABM or something else... So i'm considering what to do... How good are Hartke in the 4x10 cabinet range? I've heard they have a pretty Unique sound...
    Rob

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The current (white faced) MAG line is made in China, while the older line was made in the UK. That's probably the root of the reliability rumors.

As far as "not loud enough" that's extremely relative...how loud is the rest of the band, what sort of bass tone are you trying to get, do you use compression, etc.

12. The other two guitarists are equiped with 100 watt Marshall combos (can't remember the exact one right now) but what i'm looking for is a head and a cab that i can gig with, as my band practise combo can't really take the stage.
    Rob

13. The Mag300 head and either one 4 ohm 4 x 10" cab something like an old Trace Elliot cab or two 8 ohm cabs such as 1 x 15 and 2 x 10 (or 4 x 10 )

The Mag300 head is a great low cost amp, i used it when i didnt want to take my Ampeg SVTCL head.

You must make sure it goes into 4 ohms ( single cab ) or two 8 ohms cabs to get the volume out of it.

Good value, sounds nice, warm and good for rock etc.

Try www.soundslive.co.uk

They have some great Ashdown prices, the Mag series cabs are cheap as well

Mart

14. Cheers
    Would it be better to look for a seperate 4ohm cab? As i think the 4x10 MAG 300 deep is 8 ohms....
    Yeh, i had a good experience with the head and cab set up in a shop in Birmingham but wa slater advised away from it...
    The head is cheaper even than sounds live from www.pmtonline.co.uk (£239.99)
    And theres a few other 4ohm cabs i've been looking at, along the lines of Warwick, Hartke and Laney...
    Rob

15. Yep you need a good single 4 ohm cab rated at about 400w to use with the MAG300 head, or two 8 ohms cabs rated about 200w a piece.

The Hartke stuff is cheap, stay away from the ali cone stuff as it will sound pants with the Ashdown, as a good deal two mag series cabs i.e 1 x15" and 4 x 10" or 2 x 10" would rock.

I think the paper coned Hartkes would sound nicer with that head than the ali coned versions, or ebay for Trace Elliot cabs which are very much like the quality of Ashdown stuff.

16. The only problem with getting a 4ohm 4x10 may be if you wanted to add a 15 at a later date, which would give a total load of 2 ohms. An Ashdown head can only go to a minimum of 4 ohms. Just a thought.

I noticed one of the PMT stores on the link you posted has a s/h ABM 115 for £299. I had one of those and it's a phenomenal cab, if a bit weighty. Don't know if that's out of your price range.

17. Hmm, i could defintley consider the the 1x15 and 2x10 option... it might be a bit pricey but i might just be able to stretch to it...

And i'll see what i can find about the Hartke paper cone cabs... Hmm, the issue about not being able to expand would be a bit of a problem. Thing is if i got an 8ohm cab i wouldn't be able to get the full power from the head. So would it be better to go for a 2x10 and 1x15, wait and save a bit longer or get the 4x10...
    Rob

18. Well the 4x10 vs 1x15 + 2x10 dilemma is really all down to personal preference. I prefer the combination of 15 and 10 inch speakers.
    Looking at the Ashdown website, they don't appear to do any 4 ohm cabs in the MAG range, so I think you're gonna be limited to 8 ohms if you want Ashdown.

19. Yeh, they don't do 4 ohm cabs which i was suprised at really...
    I've been told that the difference would be pretty small anyway though, and my other option is to go for a different, 4ohm cab... Peavey? Laney?
    Rob

20. Yeah Peavey do 4 ohm cabs. I had a 115BW and a 210tx together and they sounded really good. mind you I was using a Peavey amp which will run quite happily at 2 ohms. But if you can find peavey cabs they're pretty cheap used, and bulletproof. Not everyone is a fan of their sound though.
    Don't know if Laney do 4 ohm cabs but I've seen some good reviews of their gear.. SWR and EBS do 4 ohm cabs as well but they'll be pricey and hard to find.
    If I was in your situation I'd try to pick up a couple of s/h 8 ohm cabs. They don't even have to be the same make.