1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Mag300 and Avatar 20 vs. Carvin BR610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bottomdweller, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Ashdown Mag300 w/ Avatar 2x10

47 vote(s)
    77.0%
  2. Carvin BR610

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  1. I can't decide which to pull the trigger on. I like the power and versatility of the Carvin but I like the head/cab of the Ashdown/Avatar rig as it leaves more options later plus it might sound better. I don't know. The prices are about the same. I play in a rock trio and I think either will work for that. What do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated.

2. ferrellcat

ferrellcat

Mar 9, 2008
    having played thru a carvin combofor some time, i like em. ive played rock trio, jazz trio eclectic acoustic quartet( i played electric). i dont have a 610. i have the cyclops, a 600 head, 2-8", 1-15, & 1-horn. add on an effects board, and i get good sound even for my 3/4 up right. i play all my basses thru it, fretted, fretless what ever. no, carvins NOT the most popular.... but why blend in with the crowd?

3. MAG300 is Junk. It will explode in no time.

4. Yeah, I think that the Ashdown being a kind of 'cheap' amp is part of what is holding me back. My last rig was an Eden and I am a little hesistant to get the Ashdown because, I've never really played one and noone carries them around here. Same with the Carvin. But they both look like bargains. I hope that I don't sound like a snob, I just don't want to end up with something that I don't like. Financially, I can't afford to be too picky.

5. psychotiger

psychotiger

Feb 24, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Builder: Moore Custom Guitars
    Didn't compare it to a Carvin but I have a MAG300 combo (the 210) and it's a beautiful thing. I did compare it to comparably priced GK, Fender, Line 6, Behringer, and Ampeg amps. The Ashdown was best paired with my Fender 60s Jazz by far. I have only owned it for 2 months but without problems. Harmony Central reviewers were high on them. In my research, I didn't find any QC/production/reliability problems in recent models. Most of everything in this price range is being built in Asia somewhere and often have QC problems initially but get better as that workforce trains up. Too bad you can't compare the sound of the two together with your own bass. My 2 cents.

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    And you know this because?

7. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    I'm actually considering the exact same rig. I'm torn between the Ashdown head and a Backline 600 head though. Don't want another combo.

8. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    I like the Carvin but would rather have a G-K head

9. Neither! Go GK and never look back!

10. VinceS

VinceS

Jul 25, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    +1! GK is the way to do it

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Qualify your statement please. I have used a 300 for over a year of fairly hard use, and currently have a 600 I have had another year.

Never a flinch, great power, and great sound.