1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ashdown mag600. worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mattq, Apr 25, 2009.

1. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    so recently my beloved traynor yba200 was stolen. i've been using my backup swr bass350, but it's not quite powerful enough for me and the tone is good but not great. i'm used to 200 watts of tube fury pounding me cerebrum. so i've been looking around for a good replacement and came across this little deal: http://www.music123.com/Ashdown-MAG-600H-Bass-Amp-Head-480429-i1171329.Music123. then i went looking for reviews as i remember hearing great things about ashdown tone, but that there was a rash of people having their ashdowns blow up on them. harmony central had only negative things to say about this particular head too. so, would an ashdown amp come close to the wonderful tubey goodness i'm used to in the first place? and even if it does, is this thing gonna crap out four minutes later anyway?

2. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Endorser Jule Amps Monique
    I have no experience with the MAG stuff, but I have been using the ABM stuff for 5 or 6 years. I have never had a problem with it and it sounds great.

3. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    IMHO the Mag stuff seems pretty darn good. As far as value, you really do get a bang for your buck! I really haven't heard much about reliabily issues. I have an ABM 900, but have played thru my buddy's ABM 500 and MAG 300 15" combo. Nuthin' but goodness!

4. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    I absolutely love my Mag 600. One of the best heads I have ever owned.

5. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    I bought a MAG 300 a few months ago. It worked once. didn't work the second time I turn the power on. Sent it back to thomann and bought a LMII instead. 1000 times better

6. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    ataunton, your avatar has epic win written all over it.

from what i've gathered so far from comments here and other reviews, it looks like if this amp fails it'll at least do it within the first week of using it. what about tone? any all tube guys have experience with this one?

7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi mattq.

My $.02? Since the YBA 200/200-2 delivers the tonal sensitivity that you love, then that is the amp which is worth holding out for.

Please try to be patient. An affordable one will pop up in due time.

Then you'll again have the amp which you know will work for you.

Settle for no substitutes.

8. My advice would be to get somthing that will meet your needs for a while and don't bother getting a slight upgrade.
    By this I mean, I bought my marshall rig, was satisfied for a while but I still wanted somthing else.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I wouldn't buy anything other than an amp I know I love. Sucks your amp was stolen, insurance? If no, hold out, and replace your loss with another of the same. Anything less will disappoint.

10. I've got an Ashdowb MAG-300 combo with 4x10" speakers and it is NIIICE. I really love it, and with my american fender jazz it gives the funkiest tone in the world with a decent amount of power. However, I have to say that for tone, hartke is just phenomenal IMO. I used a kickback once and fell in love with the tone. But ashdown are still great :D

11. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    I am not sure if I can agree with the love that he has for the Hartke kickback, but I can say that the VXL series was pretty darn thick sounding. I dug it alot.

I am of the school of thought that you get the best that you can, period! I find nothing worse than settling for something that sounds/feels substandard and knowing that I paid for it! It makes me want to play less. If it takes a tad bit longer to get it so be it. It will be worth the wait. If you really are thinking about Ashdown, save for the ABM series.

12. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    is the abm series THAT much better? i don't really need the extended eq or compression. just looking at tone and power. i definitely will miss my traynor, but it'll be a looooong time before i can afford that again. unless anyone wants to sell me theirs for 400 right now

13. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    I have a MAG 300. I love it.
    I would like to go for an MB LMIII tube for the size/power.

But the MAG is good. I run it flat. NO EQ, NO Boost. Straight with a 15".
    I have a MIM JB with SD Antiquity and it's all good.

No volume problem we are a 3 piece band kind of loud but not ear bleeding.

Never had an issue on reliability. It's been 3 years. I have gigged the head for 2.5 years.

It's a good deal to me.

J.

14. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    I sold an Eden rig with the intent of buying the ABM line. Ended up buying the Mag line and saving the extra cash. Later I bought an ABM head and sold it because it sounded mushy. I do not consider the Mag line inferior to the ABM line any more than the BBE BMax may be inferior to the BMaxT. Just different.

15. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

Oct 24, 2007
    Mobile, AL
    There are a couple used Traynors going for $500ish in the classifieds. If $100 was the difference between getting an amp I knew I loved and a gamble, I'd wait it out.

16. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    +1

17. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    there's not actually. they're all sold and who knows when the next one will come up. this is less a matter of patience than it is necessity. my backup amp was my backup because it could push the 6x10 i was running and i could still mostly hear myself. but ALL my gear was stolen. so now it's pushing a much less efficient 4x10 and i have to push the thing too hard for my liking just to keep up. and this is on a stage where the only stage noise is drums, and everything else is in-ears. and that's the quiet band. if it looks like i'm a hurry, it's because i'm feeling rushed by a semi-full calendar this month with very little pay

18. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    I personally do not use either the comp. or sub. (although I do utilize an octive pedal in some applications). I find the tone shaping ability gives me everything from tube warmth to super crisp SS tones. Probably my favorite pairing is the ABM 500 with an Aguilar 4x10...BOOTY FOR DAYS!!!!! You can surely piss of an arrogant strat player with a Marshall stack when that bass is shakin' his kidneys (drummers will smile)! To quote another bass player using a lessor set up when seeing one of my Ashdown owning buddies playing through that set up "I don't understand why anyone needs THAT much bass, what is he trying to prove?":D

Unfortunately my ABM 900 is on the way to the shop...someone was rearranging the rehearsal space and damaged my baby.:crying:

19. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

Oct 24, 2007
    Mobile, AL