Ashdown woes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Hey, say you have an ABM300 Combo with a single 15. Say you take it to a gig, and start to play. About two songs in, find you have no stage volume...but the FOH signal is fine, and the amp appears, for all intents and purposes, to be operating correctly...

That's bad, right? Guess I should check to see if I popped a driver.... anyone know where I could get a blue recone kit, justincase?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I wouldn't even think of getting a recone kit until I found out what was wrong with the amp. Don't assume it was the speaker.
  3. Of course. That was the "justincase" part. ;)

I did the gig with crappy monitors, but didn't have time to check it out after the set.... oh boy. I can only imagine what is up with it.

Just wanted to vent. I was surprised it went down like that...I've gigged it harder, and never had incident.
  4. this may sound silly but do you use an active bass??

if so could the pickup batteries ran out??

if the speaker went it would make a fuzzy noise and be very quiet
  5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Doesn't sound like an issue with the bass, if FOH continued to sound fine.....

I assume you didn't smell or see smoke...

What about the cable from your amp's output to the speaker?
  6. Yeah, I'm going to run thru the variables later, but as I stated, the FOH sounded pretty ok, so at least the pre-amp stage to the XLR out was fine. I smelled no smoke, and the unit was working initially, so it COULD be a popped driver.

The thing is, I wasn't even working it that hard...I just don't get it. I didn't have the output mute button in, I wasn't even clipping the VU needle.

7. Well, it's official. I popped the speaker.

I imagine I could get a new one from Ashdown....any idea on the cost?
  8. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    How'd you come to this conclusion? If you blew the speaker, more than likely you'd hear distortion than nothing. If in fact you did though, call Ashdown, they have stellar C.S.

9. Seeing as the voice coil is practically frozen and scrapes like mad if you push on the cone.....

But yeah, I figgered the Ashdown peeps could set me goes...
  10. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Is it an EVO II? I've had several of them with a power amp that failed. I've stopped selling them because of this.
  11. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    How did you manage to blow the speaker??? It's rated at 300 watts right? I can't remember how many watts that combo puts out, but you were only putting 8 ohms into it from the amp right? Was the amp clipping???
  12. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Cr@p. That sounds exactly like what is wrong with my 300 EVO head. It's at the shop, but I haven't heard what is wrong yet.

What part of the power amp failed Corey? The transformer?

13. No, that amp was not clipping. When I acertained the speaker was toast, I plugged it into another cab, and the amp worked it's not the amp.

No clipping, no farting, nuffin. It's an EVO Combo with the 15"...1st gen.

Hey, it's no big whoop, it just sucks as I don't have the scratch for a new speaker is all....
  14. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I was just wondering, 'cause I have a ABM 500 Evo II that I use to drive a single 15 ABM Mini sometimes...

No problems yet...