Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATK vs STINGRAY

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MR.ATK, Jan 6, 2006.

1. MR.ATK

MR.ATK

Jan 6, 2006
    ok so i have a question for the guru's many many moons ago when i bought my ibanez atk 300 (lefty) i was wanting to purcahse a EB MM stingray but it was out of my range.. so i was introduced to the ATK.. apprently a clone of types to the MM.. and style.. now i have read some reviews and its said that some believe it to be a more diverse bass? anyways i now can purchase that music man i want.. and curious your opinion.. should i stay with the ATK? will the MM offer me any benefits? should i partially trade the ATK in as i only really want one bass as i have two now.. my first bass an ibanez EX.. any help greatly appreciated guys :) :bassist:

ryan

2. You're going to have to change that cool name of yours if you get a 'Ray....

Seriously though, do you like the tone of your ATK?....then I would keep it.

I played one a looong time ago, but I remember that it was the best sounding bass in that store at the time....especially out of their Ibanez collection....

I like both basses, so I'd suggest playing them side-by-side...

That's the only way to know....

3. MR.ATK

MR.ATK

Jan 6, 2006
    thanks man tru enuff i like the ATK but its a damn boat anchor.. when playing gigs it can get annoying with the weight...plus i do find the neck is utterly wide.. for my finger stance and can be annoying.. but other then that its alright....its just hard to find a left MM to play side by side lol

4. If the neck of the ATK is too wide to your taste, I´d get rid of it. I´ve found that if you have two or more basses and one of them annoys you in one way or another, that bass will end up collecting dust. YMMV of course.

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yep, those things are pretty heavy, innit? Got on my nerves too. Have you tried a better, thicker strap?

I never got to play an actual lefty Stingray, but I've been told they have fairly thick necks as well. How about a Sterling? Although lefty Sterlings are even harder to find, of course.

6. I haven't played an ATK in many, many years, but as I recall, it was quite similar to a Stingray when it comes to weight and neck proportions. So if you decide to buy a new Stingray-esque bass, make sure you try some EBMM Sterlings first. They sound a lot like Stingrays, but are a little lighter and sport a slimmer neck. Oh, and don't sell the ATK. It's always better to have two nice basses than one, and it's always annoying to sell a bass you really like, to buy a bass you might end up not liking as much.

7. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Another vote for the Sterling! I'm not a big fan of the dinky-er body, but it plays and sounds like a dream. It’s sort of the bastard child of a Ray and Jazz. Smooth, easy to play neck, more tonal options than a Ray, and much easier on the back and shoulders. G&L ASAT might fit the bill as well if you can deal the Tele body shape.

r

8. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    My ATK easily satisfies my Stingray gas. It's about 80% of the tone at a third of the price of a new MM.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think its okay on a budget, but anyone who truely believes that the craftmanship of an ATK is 100% as good as an EBMM is only lying to themselves.

10. How'd I know you were going to say that? :cool:

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Because deep down inside, I am you.

12. Crikey! :eek:

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Build quality on my japanese ATK is great. Between one of the 90's ATK's and Stingrays, it's apples and oranges.

14. Actually, I don´t think anyone on this thread has claimed that ATK is better made than an EBMM. But that doesn´t mean everyone would automatically prefer a Stingray over ATK.

15. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Hey, Figjam, this is just a guess but do you like ... Sterlings, by chance? :D

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Where did you get that idea from? My sig and avatar? Why yes, how insightful >< :p

17. I played the ATK and MMSR side-by-side when deciding on what 5 string to get (and I tested a whole bunch of fives) and for me there was no real comparison. The Stingray kicked its butt tone wise, and I thought the bass was a bit more comfortable as well. Both basses are monsters - large and very heavy, but I think the size contributes to the tone for sure. I found the MMSR to be the best sounding 5 string that I played - regardless of price - but man do I hate strapping it on some times, it's like wrestling a bear, lol. But I found it more comfortable then the ATK so...

Stingrays rule!!

18. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed, it is apples and oranges! I don't think ATK is necessarily a "Stingray clone" but clearly somewhat inspired by a Stingray the way countless basses have been inspired by a Fender J or P, for instance. ATKs (in particularly the Japanese ones) are great workhorses and super bang for the buck. The hitch? as stated, heavy and big-ass neck! But if you can hang with this, you've got one cool bass.

r
    PS Say, you could consider keeping it and getting the Ray. The ATK would make a great back up or...perhaps the other way around ;).

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    MR. ATK, you keep your ATK and save up for your STingray because the ATK is discontinued and you should keep it around. If you do sell it, PM me!

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would also keep it bc itd make a good backup bass to a stingray.