Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attaching Pecanic Tail Piece

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by JYD, Nov 3, 2003.

1. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2001
    USA
    OK Ok Ok Ok

After looking and reading and looking some more and wrtting Mike Pecanic, I decided I got to have one of these compensated tail pieces.

Then I noticed they don't look like they come predrilled to connect the tail piece to the bass.
    I also like the theory behind the Pecanic tailpiece connecting strap?/Rope?/Wire? ???(not sure what to call it.

I wanted to be brave and do the work myself.
    It didn't seem like a big deal unitl a saw some pictuers of the tail pieces with no holes drilled. Can anyone tell me how to drill the holes?
    Is there right way or a wrong way?

Should I leave this to a luthier?
    I just moved and I don't really know any luthiers in my area. I wanted to save myself a few bucks.

I can just see myself showing up at a some luthiers shop with the parts in hand saying hey mister can you put this on my bass.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. I would assume that Mike makes his tailpieces like most of the better grade tailpieces with the holes on the underside similar to the one in the attached photo.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    And that would be wrong. They come without holes. take it to a luthier!! You'll be glad you did!

4. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    they are not pre-drilled. There is no "shelf" or whatever you call it, on the backside. My luthier drilled two holes, at the bulb, similar to where the coat hangar ends are on a Kay Bass. The cord is looped through and tied off at the "appropriate length" to maximize the desired effect of the afterlength, string tension and whatever other considerations that are best left to those who know.

Therein lies the luthier.

Also, the holes are drilled at a downward angle to minimize sharp bends on the cord.

5. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I think you should leave this one to a luthier.

6. I had my Luthier/Teacher put mine on. I was not about to screw that up. I mean if you feel you can do it, but a few bucks to your Luthier and not only is it drilled right but your "afterlength" and all the Luthiery mumbo jumbo will be right. My Bass is doing great with my MPM Tailpiece. I never once regretted that wise investment. Take it to your Luthier. If your MPM Tailpiece is half as pretty as mine you would hate yourself for messing it up. I would post a pick of it but I gota figure out to do so. I sent some Pics to Mike and hes welcome to post one if he reads this. All well I`m off to work:rolleyes:

Dave

7. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi JYD,

If you need a hand finding a luthier, check out Bob G's bass luthier directory, it's an amazing resource:
    http://www.urbbob.com/luthiers.html
    If you list your location in your profile, we can all make recommendations as well.

You can also call Mike Pecanic for advice, he'd be more than happy to talk with you about getting it installed right. You shouldn't be hesitant to ask a luthier to install a piece that you supply, it's no biggy. I think the best combinations have been when the luthier touches bass with Dr. Mike, they bond, share theory, talk shop, and you get a great job done. :)

G/L!
    John

8. Mike - Since you make your tailpieces to order, why don't you drill the holes or do you offer that as an option? Have you ever considered making underside tailpiece wire attachment so that the buyer doesn't have to detract from the beauty of your work by drilling holes in the top side?

9. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    You know, I've struggled with the idea of suppling the piece with holes, pocket holes, etc., I keep coming around to when I install one, the bass is in front me (in a supine position). That's really the only time I feel good about drilling the piece. I will drill though if the customer is adamant, but they get a really good ragging from me. I want a luthier to do the installation, not the player. Oh sure, there are a lot of players that can put on a talipiece (hmmm, how many bass players would it take???different thread...)but what about the ones that don't know about or not have the tools to set the soundpost? Don't know about you, but that scares me. Davegr8house insisted on a pocket, so he got it after much grief from me, as I'm not a big fan of the pocket installation. The cord rattling around in two holes up the bottom is a concern. As for predrilling the through hole, it's a piece of cake but what is the appropriate placement? That sometimes dances around aesthetic issues best discussed between the player and the luthier.
    Now if a luthier makes the request of me, I feel a whole lot better about pre-drilling because we are able to talk with confidence and certitude about configuration and spacing measurements. So yeah, drilling is an option but I make it with reservations and concerns.

10. Good point. I forget that not everyone is as comfortable with resetting soundposts as me. However, I don't understand your reluctance to pocket holes. I've never had one rattle yet (ofcourse I use Nicopress fasteners). Anyway, thanks for the reply.

11. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Here's a pic of mine (holes drilled by a luthier)

12. OK - what does the bottom look like?

13. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2001
    USA
    Well it looks like I would be better off sending this to a luthier.
    Shucks I really did want to get me hands dirty but I would be real upset with myself if I goofed something up then had to pay someone to fix my #$%^&up.
    Pacman I have no idea what the drill holes look like. I can't see the bottom of the tailpiece in your picture.

Keep the dialogue going, keep the suggestions coming I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

Jim

14. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    luthier, luthier, luthier....look in to my eyes,...luthier, luthier, luthier...your eyes are getting very heavy...when I count to 5 you willll.......

15. LOL...Yes I did catch a little from Mike on the Pocket.. BUT, Mike was a true professional and let me have my Pocket which was perfect. I was very impressed with his work. Even though it had a Pocket I still had my Luthier install it. I`m pretty good with my hands and know Tools but I wasent about to unveil my Luthiery skills installing a Tailpiece. I`ll wait and save that for tightening the screws on my tuners:)

Dave

16. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    here is one solution, no pocket.
    (the holes are parallel, camera angle and shadows make it appear uneven and asymetrical).

17. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Sorry about that. You can see it in this one...

18. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    and this one....

19. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2001
    USA
    Pacman is that you in the picture. Your a military man?

Any way bass looks nice what kind of bass is it.
    Looks llke you have the Kand K piezo pickups.

Where did you get the idea to mount them on the bottom of the bridge. Do you know for a fact that you get better results then if they were monted on the top?
    I have heard of this but I have not experimented with mounting the pickup elements on the bottom of the bridge.

Anyone else try bottom mounting the pickups with any style piezo pickup.
    I currently have a fishman BP-100. I'm thinking and looking into a change of pickups.

20. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Yeah, that's me - I'm Air Force. The bass is my Christopher and that's the K&K bass master pro. The only reason I mounted the pikups on the bottom of the bridge was it allowed me to mount the jack on the back of the tailpiece (using the string mounting ring from a realist). I hated that everytime I laid the bass on it's side, the jack would pop off the afterlength of the string...