1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

audere or j-retro?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by coronado3, Oct 5, 2009.

1. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    I am thinking of getting a drop in pre for my jazz... Has anyone had experiance with both of these? If so, which would you recommend?

They both have about the same features, yet the audere is a bit less expensive.... which I like... :)

Are there any other suggestions? Glock? Aguilar?

I had a bart 2 band and it was ok, but a bit tight in the cavity with the battery...

I did a search and have read many good things about each... that is what makes it hard to choose!

2. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    I have, use and love both.

Each one is great on its own particular style.

In my opinion Audere suits more players that like a vintage vibe with the advantage of very powerful EQ in your hands while J-Retro leans more toward to "modern" sounding basses (Marcus Miller etc…).

Audere: Less expensive than the Retro, very transparent, beautifully voiced for my taste, don't adds gain, no bypass switch.

J-Retro: Adds "color" to your tone, kinda thickness when its engage, adds a little gain, mid sweep is a fantastic tool to help you cut through, very aggressive on boost/cut, independent level for both pickups, bypass switch.

3. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I have never tried the J-retro

But I have 4 basses with Audre and dig it for what it is worth.

Hey here is track I did with the Audre on a cheap Squire VJ.

http://www.stickyfuzz.com
    (Check out the track Wicked)

Cheers

4. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks - This helps narrow it down for me!

5. yngwiewho1

yngwiewho1

Mar 2, 2009
    Tomball, Tx
    i got an audere with separate volume pots, i will let you know how it goes when i install it.

6. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

To me....Audere's more gentle, while J-Retro and Aguilar is more extreme. No Glock for me...I'm a Sig man.;)

7. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    John East preamps are the best, hands down. He'll build you one with no pre-shape if that's a concern, but trust me, it doesn't detract from your tone.

8. +1...having owned both the J Retro is the bomb...YMMV. Installation was simple and within 30minutes I was playing.

9. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    I like very much the way J-Retro "pre-shape" as I always boost a little bass.

It matches perfectly with Nordstrand NJ4 PUs.

Tight bottom, soft highs, well defined on mids, vintage vibe… everything I need.

Besides that you can bypass the preamp if you need.

Installation take little time.

10. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    The J-Retro is really good. But I want to go all-the-way passive.

I might sell mine separately from my bass if you're interested. :p

11. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have 2 Audere's and have had a J-retro. This is all personal taste and like them both. Agree with previous posts that the Audere is more transparent and the J-Retro adds color. I especially like the Audere in my Corvette fretless w/ Nordstrands.

12. bassness

bassness

Jul 16, 2006
    Chicago area
    I had a J-Retro in my Jazz and I did not like it. It colored the sound too much and was too "hi-fi" for my taste. I swapped an Audere in and I like it much better. The J-Retro has sat in my closet for a couple of years. I guess I should sell it.

It all comes down to personal taste and the style of music you play.