1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audio into an iPad.... (Audio interface?)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ToadWarrior, Jun 3, 2014.

1. So my parents got me an ipad air for my birthday.

My primary use is going to be recording on the fly, as well as using music apps and so on (Rehearsal, Synths, etc.)

Itt'll be a nice fresh start getting away from clogged computer hard drives and DAW programs that go way over my head, I understand it will be limited compared to the plethora of Mac and Windows based stuff but I'm looking forward to it.

I've got the midi down, and I'm enjoying experimenting with Audiobus and various apps...

Now I've just got to get my instruments, analog stuff, and voice into this little thing... There seem to be alot of options, though not everything is compatible with the new ******** proprietary "lightning" Ipad cable. I've got no idea where to start, I've got the lightning to usb convertor, so should I just start looking at USB pre-amps?

I'd imagine the main thing is just to have direct monitoring and a decent sounding XLR in, I've got a Sansamp for bass and would probably just use a good mic for guitar and vocals, the amp simulators sound like garbage to me, and I'd rather just use a real amp.

If anyone has any experience with this I'd be glad to hear it?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Something simple just for guitar/bass would be the Apogee Jam.

Something better that has an XLR input would be the Apogee One.

And something better than that would be the Apogee Duet or RME BabyFace. Both are very nice interfaces with multiple ins and outs.

I use an Apogee Jam for quick and dirty stuff. It sounds great but it is somewhat limited as to what it can do. I use a Duet for everything else...

3. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Line 6 Sonic Port has cables for Lightning and 30-Pin connection, as well as a number of inputs and outputs. Works great for my limited needs.

DreamError likes this.
  4. Driften

Driften

Jun 8, 2014
    With the lighting to usb connector (from the camera connection kit) with a griffin iMic I was able to connect my bass up to my iPad Mini. My bass has active electronics so it might not work with a passive bass, but with worked for me. Since you already have the usb connector you could try a usb sound card if you have one.

5. VoodooJazz

VoodooJazz

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern California
    <your name here>
    If you're going to do home studio work, I'd recommend a USB compatible preamp. However, if you really just want to lay down some tracks "on the fly", I've had good luck with the Lightning to USB connector and then a Sonuus i2m. I plug straight into the i2m, and it works like a champ. You can also do monophonic pitch-to-MIDI conversion with it (fun sometimes), but I use it mostly as a straight in audio interface for getting ideas onto the iPad.

6. DreamError

DreamError

May 30, 2014
    TX
    The Babyface will need to be put into "stand alone" mode and needs external power to run with an iPad. Just something to consider. I use a Sonic Port with my iPhone, but it doesn't have an XLR mic input, either.

I'd get the iRig Pro if you want inexpensive and simple, it's what I would have gotten if I didn't need the 3.5mm stereo in, and the 1/4" output of the Sonic Port.

But any 'class compliant' USB device will work with the Lightning to USB adapter (and get Apple's or one that is authorized, some third-party ones might stop working after any given iOS update...), as long as it doesn't exceed 100mA iirc, or you don't mind powering it externally.

7. autobot22

autobot22

Jan 11, 2012
    Hello. I bought a Line 6 Sonic Port recently and have spent far too much time experimenting with different Ipad apps. I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for to start with but eventually settled on my key requirements:
    1) play Bass through headphones
    2) play along to my large playlist on spotify premium (not ITunes)
    3) play along to drum loops
    4) record my efforts
    5) have the option to play through Amp whilst achieving 2, 3 and 4

I quickly identified a problem with most apps that I couldn't adjust the volume from Spotify compared to the volume from my bass. I also found it difficult/impossible to record myself and the spotify track together (not really surprising as that would probably be illegal).
    Audiobus was a great discovery, allowing many app permutations to be tried out.
    Anyway the best combination I have found so far is Amplifind (allows Spotify volume to be set independently) and Ampkit. I bought the Trace Elliot amp package.
    Tried Garageband and will probably come back to that but to be honest found it a bit complicated for what I needed.