Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audio to Dig PC Recording Issues

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Thor, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I have some specific issues I need some help with.
    The project is to convert a clip I have on Audio tape
    to an mp3 for the TB Sampler.

Equipment notes:

The clip is on cassette tape currently, I have adapted the
    player to the line in of the PC. There exists a reel to reel
    master somewhere, I have to dig thru a bunch of reels to find that.

The PC is a pentium III, 233 RAM = 64 MB.

I just installed Soundeforge 6.0, and it appears to load fine.

The clip is approx 6 mins long. It was recorded with 2 mikes at a live session in 1989.

Problems and issues:

I recorded the clip at 16 bit stereo at 44,000 hz.
    I saved it as a wav file. I converted it to a mp3 (LAME) as
    my computer seems to have a built in function to do that,
    I used 192 as the encoding speed.

During the initial recording, I noticed that the recording btton and time hesitated a few times. Upon listening to the final product, there were irregularities and discontinuities apparent. The file size was over 8MB when done.

I next increased the buffer size options to the max available
    like 15000 on the options preferences menu.

I decreased the bits to 8 but everything clipped, so I went back to 16 bit and down to 22000 hz.
    I recorded again and saved as wav. I encoded this time at
    160 rate, but still found the end product had a lot of errors.
    The file size was now about 6MB.

I am beginning to suspect that the errors coincide with when the recording function halts temporarily, and maybe the 64MB
    does not provide enough memory to record, thus starting a
    hard drive swap or something. There are some memory resident programs there like Norton Disc Doctor chewing up RAM as well.

Or I am just not using the right settings.

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

After I solve the discontinuities issue, I need a tad more volume and a noise reduction, how would that be done on this program?

One final thought, that just came from wulf on PM, my son has a computer at school, that is a new Sony PC with Soundforge and Acid that runs on XP, he sequences and edits all the time. Should I just haul the tape deck up there and sit down and do it on his computer? I'd rather solve this myself, but I can't submit a final mp3 that is full of glitches ... :crying:

Thor

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    here's a bump for your issues

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Which OS do you have? With that little RAM, anything newer than Win98 could cause problems. Even with Win98, it could certainly be a not-enough-RAM issue. Close ANY and ALL applications running in the background that you don't need loaded for this specific task. Such as ICQ, Norton, Anti-Virus, Firewalls, the lot. I don't know SoundForge, but see if it has the feature I've seen some other programs have, namely where you can choose destination to record to - RAM or Hard Drive. Do by all means choose the hard drive!

There's nothing wrong with the file sizes you list for the final MP3s.

4. Thor

Oysterman,
    good info.

As mentioned above W 98
    Pentium 3 processor,
    64 MB RAM
    at least 60% system resources free...

Tak fyrir

Does anyone here know how to direct the output to the hardrive
    without suffering buffer overrun, etc.

Could this be a processor speed issue? arent the old pentium 3
    like 75 mhz or so. When I was looking back at it, it occurs to me
    that could be the case ...

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hey Thor,

Very generic contribution on my part but do you know anyone with a more modern computer? I really think it's a RAM issue. These irregularties you speak of, are they just little pauses and sections missing from the song, etc? Because I think that means soundforge is a little too powerful for you computer.

Try, you may have already, running your computer as bare bones as possible, including getting a more simple recording program. I can't think of any off hand, but something like the Windows sound recorded, but that allows more record time than a minute. OOOH, I got one www.goldwave.com

I think that's their website, if not Google for Goldwave. It's a more bare bones program, and if you want to do any additional stuff, just edit the wav later.

But if this doesn't work, I'd try my damnedest to get to a more powerful computer. :)

6. Thor

That is next, I have access to my son's 2 year old Sony VAIO
    with XP. Going there tonight to knock this down on his hotrod
    machine.

Once I have it in a good wav file I should be able to manipulate it.

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    GoldWave, why not indeed. It is one of the programs I know where you directly can choose the hard drive as "temporary storage", thus minimize the risk of the Windows swapfile coming into use.

Also Thor, it's not a Pentium III processor you have, those started at around 500 MHz IIRC. If it's a 233 as you mentioned in your first post, then it is a Pentium II 233 MHz. Should be more than enough for recording 2-track audio. I've done that on my old 200 w/ 32 MB RAM, with excellent results.