AudioKinesis Cabs V!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I agree, this was the key to my decision. I was on the verge of going a fF or compact direction (212 single cab or 2 112s) as a compromise to what I really wanted - a 15 solution. But all the 15s were heavy (50 Ibs give or take). I decided not to compromise and have a certain red composite coming my way at 33 lbs. My L5, L1 and C5; and physical therapist will all be happy.

2. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

BTW, if anyone has questions about whether the Thunderchild 112 plays well with lower-powered amps, they can rest easier now.

I bought a G-K MB200 on the weekend, to use as a gig-bag backup for my MB800, and for acoustic jams. Sounds absolutely stellar with my 112AF, and plays louder than I would have expected. It does start to get a little "loose" sounding when it's maxed out, as if the smaller output stage doesn't have quite as firm a grasp on the woofer. Still pretty amazing for a couple of pounds, though, and I actually like it better than the bigger head at really low volume levels.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Can someone who's heard the TC115 & TC212 comment on the tonal differences?

4. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    While the TC112 is very flat the 15 is the flattest frequency response on the planet.

After extensive playing of both I prefer the 12. It doesn't go as loud as the 15 but I feel that the low end is tauter and punchier. A lot is the amp, too.Ken Jung was over with a Tonehammer and I thought it was an amp that I didn't like. With the 15 it seemed to give a little more oomph where needed. A very useful combination. I like the Tonehammer better with the 15 than my current favorite, the Puma 900. (thanks again to Ken)

But I still go a bit more for the 12. Two of the 12's are glorious.

If there was a gig that was within the dynamic limits of the 12 (pretty astounding dynamic limits) I'd go for the 12 over the 15.

31HZ likes this.
  5. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I have the 212 now and had a 115AFwide model for a few gigs. There was a month or two in between so I didn't have them side by side. They are certainly in the same tonal universe but I prefer the form of the 212. The extra height makes it easier to hear when playing up close. The 15 was easy to move but the slimmer, taller 212 is even easier. This one is composite and the 15 was wood so they were exactly the same weight at 41 lbs.

I think the 212 might be tighter than the 15. But the 15 wasn't loose. There is something about 2 speakers of the same kind right on top of each other that's kind of magical, IMO. It gets louder than I think I would ever play it. Scary, actually, how loud it will get yet still stay clean and tight.

As an aside the shuttlemax 9.2/212 sounds really sweet with an acoustic guitar.

6. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Your description of how the two compare sonically seems correct to me on all counts. Nice job!

Interesting that you find the tall 212 easier to move. Tonight I finalized the crossover design for another tall cab with a fairly small footprint.

You see, I recently found a 15" woofer whose tone I really like. Now it doesn't rival the power of the Kappalites, so I'll have to use two of them. And yes I did say a while back that I would never do a 215 cab, but imo this woofer needs to be used in pairs. I'm keeping its identity under my hat for now, gotta get a jump on the competition you know. Will be using a single cone midrange in an open-format mid chamber, along the lines of the Hathor 1544. Switchable between "smooth mids" and "rather interesting mids", and it's the latter that I'm excited about because that's an area that I've never gone boldly into before.

7. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Sounds really cool Duke. :)

Cheers,
    Liam

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Ooh, sounds like an experiment! I LOVE a good experiment! :cool:

59552485_8b052a00cb.jpg

:smug:

MM

9. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    will they be anything like my ThunderTots? Of course not, but.....would it be worth it for me to upgrade to a pair of your new 112's? How heavy are they?

10. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    As much as I love the flat eq of the TChildren I think it's a good marketing move to have the mids variable. I keep reading where some people are taking amps that are voiced mid heavy and then turning the mids up further. I can't imagine what that sounds like (well, yes I can, but not in a good way). But the point is, they are potential customers and if that's what they want - then that's what they'll buy.
    Good move on your part, Duke.

11. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I think the whole super mid thing comes from guys playing loud rock with two or more electric guitars playing power chords and drummers with double bass, 12 toms and 40 cymbals on meth. Not that there's anything wrong with that.:D

12. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    yes, pretty much.....you'd need more mids to get heard above that.....

13. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    From the post you quoted, 31 pounds.

Liam

14. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Thank you! The prototype Hathor 215 pretty much starts out with "the sound that's in my head" when I think of how a bass cab sounds, which obviously the smooth Thunderchild and first-generation Hathor did not. This cab will also be sealed, as that's what works best for this particular woofer.

Oboy, you should see the experiments that never make it out of the lah-BORE-ah-TOR-ee! Among the more interesting: I came up with a way to give a vertical 2x15 cab slightly wider dispersion than a vertical 2x12 (with very little impact on the tone), but it eats up a significant amount of internal volume so it's not going to be used in this project. Also experimented with various compact down-firing/slot-firing geometries, so I think I understand what they do, but again not what I'm looking for.

Look for a PM from me.

Thank you! Yes there is a big segment of the market that I haven't really had anything to offer to. Just for the record, I have a specific target for what I want to do in the mids; it's not just "louder mids" across the board. Imo we don't want to get in a volume war with the guitarist because ultimately we'll either lose or go deaf & broke winning, so my intention is to exploit existing "slots" in the mix. For instance, guitar speakers generally have a major peak between 2 and 3 kHz, so imo it would be counter-productive to design a bass cab that has a huge peak in the same place. I learned that the hard way last year, when I built a cab that combined a 15" woofer with a 12" guitar speaker. I learn more from my failures than from my successes... and fortunately I've had a lot of failures!

I'm sure there comes a point where any "finesse" in the voicing of a bass cab is of academic interest only!

15. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Oooohh...sealed 215? This should be interesting.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    yup!

17. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Wow.. A sealed 215? Im into that....
    I am looking forward to seeing how it developed. Thats something that i could use on alot of my gigs.
    I had a single DEEP 15 Bag End years ago.. I think it was the S15B-d... It had a front port that you could put on or take off... It was a great sounding 115 cab... BUT it was 24 inches deep... Which for club gigs on limited space stages wound up sitting way out onto a shallow stage... Less foot room for me.. But it still sounded fantastic... I have no idea what the internal Volume was of that cab, but it was not small....
    I liked it with and without the port closed up.. With teh port sealed it was TIGHT...
    I would love to see a good sounding 115 or 215 cab...
    Im going to watch this thread...

18. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Do you have a release date for this 215 monster?

19. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Well, it's not really a monster. No Kappalite-class woofers; just aiming for a really nice, fairly traditional tone this go-round. The woofer whose tone comes the closest to what I'm looking for happens to be 15", and imo two are really called for to get the job done.

With a bit of luck, we're maybe a month or so away.

20. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    News of a sealed 215 w/ mid, just in time to kick off part 6!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.