AudioKinesis Cabs V!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    It looks like the footprint for the Hathor 215 is going to be 18" wide by 13" deep, with a height around 38". I think the weight will come in just south of 50 pounds, but won't know for sure until the production version is sitting on the scale.

You probably ought to think of the Hathor 215 as roughly the equivalent of a Kappalite-class 115 cab as far as maximum output goes. It will be a little bit more efficient than a single 3015 (non-LF), like maybe 1 dB more, but I'll be claiming a little bit less thermal power handling (400 watts vs 450) because a sealed cab doesn't benefit from cooling airflow like a ported cab does.

We could see as many as three different versions of the Hathor 215: 4 ohms, 8 ohms, and a rear-ported low-tuned 4 ohm "215HO" version with two Kappalite 3015 (non-LF) woofers. The latter would of course be more expensive and unfortunately several pounds heavier, and would be lacking in "growly" relative to the standard version, but it would deliver a lot of sound per square inch of footprintage. Also, the top end of the HO version would be a bit subdued, because the single cone midrange wouldn't be as loud as a pair of 3015s in parallel.

2. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

I think it might be time to invest in an HPF.

I love my TC112AF to death, and I've been digging it even more since I dumped my Genz Streamliner for a G-K MB800.

Here's the weird thing, though. I picked up an MB200 to use with a little sealed 10 for acoustic dates and as a gig-bag backup, but I'm finding that I like it better than my big MB, at least in situations where it's loud enough (which is turning out to be almost everything).

I don't know if the MB200 is high-passed, or if it's just that the bigger amp packs more whomp on those big low-end transients, but either way, the little guy sounds tighter down low.

Me likey, and I'm thinking that an HPF might be just the ticket for gigs where I simply have to bring the 800 for the extra power.

3. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I don't know about the GK line, Steve, but I've learned that different wattage amps within the same line are not necessarily the same thing with just more power. I tried out the Ampeg PF350 and the PF500 side by side and they are completely different animals. The 350 has a vintage tone and the 500 is more modern/hi fi.

Of course, you have a very refined ear, so I'm sure you're able to tell what has changed in those two amps. I'm mostly posting this in agreement with you for others to hear.

4. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

I've heard that about the PF350 and 500- chalk and cheese. The differences between the MB200/500/800 are more subtle (except for the massive headroom difference between the smallest and largest!).

5. JAKBOUND

JAKBOUND

Dec 14, 2007
    Houston
    Of late I've been gigging more and have done quite a few doubling gigs using the Shuttlemax 9.2 into one of the composite narrow TC15AF cabs.
    I use the tube channel for electric and the upper channel for upright, both with the HPF. Great upright rig with lots of volume before feedback, while sounding like an upright bass.
    What I am noticing is that my beloved early 80s maple necked precision, purchased new in 83, which has always been my go to bass is staying at home and one of my Hamer Cruise basses goes out on the gig. They just sound fatter and more punchy to my ears. I'm wondering of for electric only gigs one of the small Aguilar heads might be a better match for the precision, and whether it would sound cool with the 60s Jazz type cruise.
    Any Ideas on this or any other head?
    By the way the single trip schlep is a wonderful thing. My back thanks Mike for his build and Duke for the design.

6. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    JAKBOUND, I wish I had the amplifier experience to answer you with authority! My customers are better qualified in this area than I am. Based on my limited exposure to Aguilar amps I think they do the punch thing very well, but can't offer a comparison to the Shuttlemax.

Also, I screwed up and shorted Mike on port plugs for several of his builds, so let me know if you need some, as I have a fresh batch coming in next week and can send you some then.

7. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I'm sure Ken Jung will drop by with details, but I know he speaks highly of the Aguilar/Precision combo. As I'm sure you know, the Ag has a much stronger mid presence.

I'm running an LMlll and all my basses seem to work well with the TC115, although each achieves a different result. There are so many other variables - strings, settings, you're playing style, the type of music you play, how the other band members play and how they mix together, the room, the volume, and your ability to adjust to all of the above. So there are no hard rules. Invariably, we will all find certain combos work better than others given the parameters of any particular gig.

8. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    I have been told that the June 2013 issue of Mix Magazine will include, as part of it's "Class of 2013" (year's best) list, a studio designed by TalkBasser Ironjaw, whose day job is designing recording studios. This will be his THIRD year in a row to have one of his studios on the list.

And it's rather exciting for me, because the main monitors in that studio are a pair that I designed. Two 12" Eminence Definimax woofers... plus a familiar-looking horn, MHM configuration. On the back of the horn is the same Celestion compression driver that I used in the Thunderchild 115, and that I'm now using in the Thunderchild 212 (the first few 212s used a Selenium neo-magnet compression driver that worked quite well, but they were from an older production run of Selenium drivers; unfortunately the more recent ones are not as good, so I have switched to the Celestion).

The high-pass filter (compression driver's portion of the crossover) that I used in the TC115, and am now using in the TC212, is almost identical to the high-pass filter in that studio monitor. As I recall, one capacitor has a slightly different value in the studio monitor. So those of you with cabs that have the Celestion neodymium compression driver, from 2 kHz on up, you've got virtually the same thing as those studio monitors... well, until you flip the rolloff switch down.

31HZ likes this.
  9. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    Well, I'm sure the 112 is good, but I haven't found a better single-cab solution than the wide TC115-AF! It just seems to do it all! Light, loud, punchy, clear-as-a-bell, and it sounds great with all my "go-to" basses and amps. Other cabs come and go, but this one's a keeper!

10. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Congrats, Duke and Ironjaw. Bout time for part 6, no?

11. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Thank you!

Probably so, but I think it would be bad form for me to start a thread about my own products.

12. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    re 112 v 115.

i have no idea how the 115 sounds (and am somewhat afraid to find out—see below).

the 112 is brilliant, imho.

i checked one out on a whim . . . fell in love with it and now i have two. dumped my other stuff tout de suite.

love the 112s, duke.

13. pkstone

pkstone

Apr 13, 2011
    Sacramento
    I'm always curious when I hear of 112s being paired...how do you power those, seeing as they present a 2-ohm load to the amp?

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    there's still some heads that can handle a 2ohm load.
    there's preamp / power amp rigs that can handle as much as two channels with 2ohm on each (or 'of course' 4ohm on each).
    there's heads like the Genz Benz with dual power amp sections built in that can handle a 4ohm load on each channel.
    a few other brands make dual power amp section heads.

15. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    haven't done that yet. (i like having backups)

i do have a shuttlemax 12, so i should be able to do both, but that might be a bit loud for my regular needs.

16. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Thank you very much!

In the very near future I will start shipping 8 ohm TC112's, and in fact my first two customers in line for delivery both bought a pair, presumably for the big gig/little gid modularity (though one person is getting his with home audio style inputs, so he's probably looking at them as multi-role speaker systems).

17. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    you're welcome (it's well deserved).

i usually favor 8-ohm cabs, but i seem to be "married" to the 4-ohms now.

by the way, i'm the idiot who was lobbying for a 1x10. i kind of held back on commenting on it for a while, but figured i'd explain my reasoning/needs:

for me, the quest for a really nice 1x10 is because i want to take the subway to more gigs. yeah, i live in l.a., but it's starting.

i've actually done this of late. rolling case with puma 500 and pedals, bass on back and a benz 1x10, which, though it has its charms, is the weak link in the chain.

the genz has been moved and i'm thinking about an ea wizzy due to its smaller profile and weight (which somehow seems important for negotiating trains and platforms).

ideally i'd love something that has your basic tonal profile, but i know it's probably a long-shot in terms of marketability . . .

comparison pic of 112 vs the genz ImageUploadedByTalkBass1370107838.160798.jpg

18. So is anyone using a TC112 and a TC115 together ? I have both but don't have an amp to run them together. I thought about selling the TC112 but then I was thinking they may sound great together.
    I currently have a GB Streamliner and was thinking of getting a GB-Suttlemax 12 or 12.2 so I can run both cabs together when I have the need to. I sometimes do outdoor gigs and I think running both may be the way to go.
    Also is anyone using a ShuttleMax 12 or 12.2 with a TC112 or 115 ? That should be enough power right ? Main my setup would be a Suttlemax 12 and a TC115.

19. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    :meh:

photo_zps9732ed54.jpg

20. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    I use a Kart-a-Bag luggage cart with my 112. No problems getting around NYC... it even fits through the subway turnstiles!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.