AudioKinesis Cabs V!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I think it helps, although it's hard to say since I'm not sitting where the drummer is. If anything it should be louder. I played drums for 3 years and it's nothing but a rumble back behind the band. Anything that can define the sound is a huge plus. And I think some commented that it currently is a luxury and that its mostly effective at acoustic volumes. If it were louder it would increase its usefulness. Certainly it can't hurt anything.

2. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Thank you very much, Passinwind & PDGood. Both of your observations are very helpful.

PDGood, your perspective from having played drums that "it's nothing but a rumble back behind the band" is illuminating and encouraging, at least from the perspective of justifying rear-firing-tweeterness.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Last week I played with a drummer whom I hadn't worked with for a few months.
    First words out of his mouth after sound check:
    "Where are those cabs you used to use? The ones with the rear port, and the rear firing tweeter? I could hear you much better with those."

So; there's one drummers words...

Originally Posted by DukeLeJeune View Post
    A quick question, especially aimed at those of you whose cabs have the rear-firing tweeter:

Do you find that your drummer benefits from the rear-firing tweet, by being able to hear what you're doing better? Or is that not really an issue?

Would you rather it be a bit louder, or a bit softer?

Have you ever found it to be detrimental?

Thanks!

Duke

4. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    That was one factor in moving back to bass. I loved drums but you really feel isolated from the rest of the band - partly by where you are physically and partly because you aren't playing melody and are often left out of discussions on arrangements etc.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Forgot to mention my favorite leveraging of the back tweet: the TC112AF is just outstanding when used in my stereo rig for ambient time-domain effects. Something a little smaller would actually work just as well most of the time for this though...(hint, hint).

6. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Gosh, I'm wondering whether my calling in life might be to build cabs that reach out to isolated drummers, and in particular that bring dummers and bass players together. Thanks so much for the education!

7. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Most of the PA drum monitors I've seen attempt to solve the problem of drummers being able to hear the rest of the band by brute force; aiming a 15" wedge directly toward the drummer; on larger stages, often stacking a wedge atop a sub. No wonder so many drummers suffer hearing loss! When playing live music, the sound musicians experience upstage is usually an afterthought - at best; downstage musicians seem to get most of the attention from sound providers.

The vast majority of jazz trios I've worked with prefer to arrange ourselves physically on stage to make it easier to hear each other acoustically - preferably without stage monitors. For louder gigs or larger stages I will often stack two bass cabs, aiming the upper cab toward me, and aiming the lower cab across the stage toward the drummer and keyboard player. If I could achieve the same thing with a single cabinet, I'd be a very happy camper.

8. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    I recently played a stage that had two! Bag End 215 monitors on the drummer, one from either side. Plus six Bag End single 15 monitors across the front of the stage. Best sounding monitor system I've heard in a long time, if a little overkill for our band.

9. RColie

RColie Gold Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Hi Duke,

This all sounds great! I can't wait to get mine!

I understand the midrange switch - a lot of guys like a more aggressive midrange, and I'm interested to hear the effect. However, I'm hoping that the "normal" midrange selection will be nice and smooth like your other Thunderchild designs - for me there's nothing better!

Thanks,

Bob

10. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Don't worry Bob, the "smooth" will still be there when the switch is in the "normal" position.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Excellent. Will the form factor of the cab change any, given the different horn format?

12. Where can a get a cover with velcro strap for a TC115 ?

13. RColie

RColie Gold Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Good news! To celebrate, here's a pic I posted in another thread. It doesn't get any better than this.

Attached Files:

14. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I got one from LeCover - they can make whatever you want and are very reasonable. Don't know what you mean about the velcro strap though.

They have my measurements for a TC115 wide, however it's best to take your own measurements for boutique builds. I started to use someone else's and discovered he had a different handle than I have. Small builders can make changes (and improvements) on the fly without concern about it being different than the photo in a catalog that's shipped to hundreds of stores.

My one suggestion is to get a non-padded one. I got the thinner padding and it gives the cover enough structure that it resists folding up. You have to store is somewhere you can get weight on it or it forms itself back to the shape of the cabinet.

15. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    Have not gigged out in a while, but did so on Saturday night, and was absolutely, positively thrilled with my composite TC15 Wide. What a great, great cabinet! Used it with an Aguilar TH500 and a Sadowsky Metro 5/24, alder/morado, with Big Singles and TI Jazz Flats. I had every sound I wanted at my disposal, able to get gobs of timbral and dynamic range through my hands, with minimal knob-twiddling. I feel blessed to have such excellent tools at my disposal, and the TC is a huge element of the toolbox.

Thank you, Duke!

16. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    The velcro strap goes under the cab to secure the cover to the cab. I think both Lecover and Tuki offer it as an option.

Cheers,
    Liam

17. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    The short answer is, no.

But I did think about it. The only dimension I could readily change is the height; I could shave off about an inch and a half.

The width is set by the woofer diameter, and the depth is set by the need for clearance between the ports and the woofer magnet.

And if I do make the cabinet shorter, the internal volume would decrease acccordingly, so I'd have to increase the port length to keep the same tuning frequency... and I'd have to make the cab deeper to do so.

There, that was the long answer!

18. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    You could always make it bigger :) Mm, bass.

19. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    I thought about that too, but you see, there's this other designer out there whose cabs are fRIGHTfully good, and he's using the 3012LF in a very well designed bigger box that goes deeper. I'd like to offer something that fills a slightly different market niche, trading off bottom end authority for a size and weight savings. I figure the community of bass players is better served by having a wider variety of choices, rather than having two cabs whose only real difference is mid/tweet vs PA-style horn.

20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I think you're on the right track, there Bro.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.