AudioKinesis Cabs V!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    The pics are upside down!

2. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    what's all that schmootz all over my beautiful cabinet?!!!

3. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    by the way---on any cabinet---ArmorAll is awesome! It fills in little scratches and make everything more uniform---cleans everything well too.

4. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    The Crazy 8/88 are designed for a different purpose than the Thunderchildren. It's all about which compromise you want. The Eminence drivers give you a lot of notice before they start smacking the back plate. The Faitals are really weird---it's true---I've never heard a driver that sounds so good until it gives up the game. But then it REALLY gives up the game. I consider it a necessity to use a HPF with them. Then you can goose the bass without as much worry.The TC112 is an ASTOUNDING cab as far as maximum volume and tone. It's the flattest cab I've ever played. Sounds just as good on acoustic or electric. And goes louder than it has any right to. Personally I think that it's a smarter design as an 8 ohm cab. A perfect cab to double up on.

5. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    The woofer that the Crazy 8/88 uses sure looks to me like the front-runner for a really sweet acoustic session cab, conceding of course that a pair are not going to keep up with a band like a 12" Kappalite woofer will.

I don't want to go head-to-head with the Crazies, so I'll be doing something that is perhaps a bit crazy on its own terms, with the emphasis on playing nicely in a small setting where the other musicians are using acoustic instruments. In fact a while back I was considering doing a wierd little 2x8 cab designed specifically for amplified acoustic guitar, until spending a bit of time on an acoustic guitar forum convinced me that the market for such is actually extremely small, but hey if there's a little market niche over here in bass guitar land I'll sure take a shot at it.

6. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I don't know if crazy in this case means a dipole, speakers in a soup can, or ???, but I have confidence that whatever it is, you'll make it sound great.

7. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    except many of us will never carry 2 cabs to a gig. i believe thats the market duke was origionally targeting, while squeezing as much juice out of the modern micro heads as possible with the 4ohm design

8. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Yep. I love my tc115 as the ultimate 1 cab for 90% of gigs situation. At 33 lbs, its a no brainer for me.

9. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    +1
    I was pro 8ohm at first, but the 4ohm cab in this case makes a lot of sense, since it's designed to be a single cab solution. And with micro heads being what they are, a two amp/two cab solution is a more viable alternative than it's been in the past. Jeez, can they make this stuff any smaller? I'm expecting the next wave of amps to be the size of ball point pens and speakers will be made from assplodium, a little known metal that actually is lighter than air and reduces the weight of the cabinet rather than adding to it.

10. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Thought I should mention---

Due to some serious health concerns I can no longer make composite cabs. I've been dealing with some very bad sinus infections that I've had to take some uber strong antibiotics to take care of. In spite of always wearing an industrial dust mask.
    Now I've got dermatitis from the dust. Even while wearing long sleeve shirts and gloves. I love the technology and I've been trying to pretend that it will get better but it's just gotten worse.

The only way to work with the dust is to have complete isolation from it and use industrial dust collection.

I'm finishing the orders I've got but not accepting new orders. Thanks to all who have been supportive.

11. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Sorry to hear that, but of course your health must come first. All the best to you!

Liam

12. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Your health is WAY more important than bass cabs, Mike. To your health, sir; to your health.

13. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Sorry to hear that Mike. Your expertise will be missed in that area. I assume wood will still be an option for you and other areas will benefit from your attention.

14. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ

not sure about the sinuses, but how about something like this for the skin?

http://www.newpig.com/pig/US/personal-safety-ppe-6093/protective-suits-tyvek-coveralls-more-6809

15. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Don't blame you a bit, Mike. I've seen how hard you work, and your time and energy ought to be devoted to projects that aren't damaging your health. I have some experience with fiberglass dust, and you lasted far longer than I did. Thank you for building the very best versions of my cabs, and for taking such good care of your (and our) customers.

Duke

16. Man, sorry to hear that, Mike.

I really enjoyed working with you on my compact composite TC115 and Crazy 88.

Bob

17. ACB0015

ACB0015

Oct 27, 2010
    Portland, Maine
    Mike, you seem to be a man of great integrity and I wish you the best for your health priorities. And, I have seen some of your performance videos --- play the bass, man, you are a great player!

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Get well & do your best to stay healthy -- Live long & prosper!

19. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Sorry to hear that, Mike. Get yourself healthy. No doubt, a talented guy like you will have other gigs that allow you to breathe!

20. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. I am sure you will feel 100% again soon. Getting back to wood isn't all bad either. There have been very famous carpenters. One of which very inspirational. Wood is natural and I look forward and pray for a healthy return.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.