1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Audition Equipment

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bluewine, Apr 17, 2009.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I have an important audition for a spot with a Rock Trio this week.

Should I use the Ashton with one 15 they supply of bring my own GK rig?

blue

2. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    Go with your comfort zone. If you can't really settle in the pocket if your tone isn't "just so" (and I do not mean that as a jab in any way whatsoever), just thank them for offering to let you use their stuff but explain that you would really rather bring your own rig. If they really want to check you out, they won't have a problem with it at all. If they do, then you know where you are going to stand as a priority during sound checks in that band. For me, I actually like the nastier tones a bit so I'm right at home with the beat-to-crap rigs most folks have in their practice rooms. In fact, if I'm going to be playing through a really good ultra hi-fi rig, I'll bring my MXR M-80 to dirty things up a bit.

3. I went to an audition once, I brought my rig, but when I saw they had an 810 Mesa stack (I was impressed) I decided to use that. It was a mistake. My little 410 SWR sounded SO much better (to me anyway). I also showed up to another deal where there was an Eden rig with a 210 and 115 cabinets. I was like "wow Eden" so I played thru that, and again was less then impressed. I'm not saying my stuff is better then that stuff, it's just what sounds right to me. So, bottom line, bring your own rig.

4. Blue, play your rig, you are familiar with it/comfortable with it. No tweaking around trying to sound decent. Ashton makes decent stuff but it ain't "YOUR" rig. For God's sake blue as worked up as you are lately with the auditions, any small amount of comfort you can afford yourself is a plus IMO.

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Yeah, well I have been on this crazy but organized re-creating myself mission since October. Something was missing in my life, which was not being on stage.

This audition is important to me because it's right up my alley, 70s style Power Trio with bookings, and they are from the town I live in.

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    It wouldn't hurt to ASK them if it's okay to bring your own rig. Good interpersonal skills are very important at auditions, too.

7. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    +1